Introduction
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hi,
    I'm George, or matt, whatever. I'm thinking that I'm about a month away from buying a new bike. I rode mainly dirt bikes for many years but that was many years ago. It just seems like the time is right to get back on two wheels. The riding that I will be doing will be almost 100% on roads but not all of those roads will be paved or even graveled. The first time I saw a TW200 I thought that it was something special but who could have guessed that it would still be around and virtually unchanged nearly 30 years later---and still special!
    I'm pushing 65 real hard and I've had just about every driver license endorsement available but never a motorcycle endorsement. That little oversight will be corrected in a few weeks when I go down and take the motorcycle safety course. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself so I haven't started really bothering the dealers yet which seems to be fine with them. I requested quotes from three local dealerships and heard back from only one of them. Business must be good!
    I live a little southeast of Portland, OR in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. I have elevations ranging from ~200' to over 11,000' within 30 miles of home but the riding tops out at about 6000'. Anyway, lots of variety and lots of Forest Service within a few minutes from home.
    I've been doing my homework so I don't even have any questions right now but I'm sure that I will in a few weeks.

George

Hey Matt. You're up kind of late for a school night.

Oh, it's only 10:20 there.

I've been riding motorcycles (mini bikes) since about age 8. Started racing dirt bikes before I had my drivers license. I'm 60 now and this little TW suits my wants and needs just fine. I think you will like it too, as a first bike and as a last bike.
    littletommy and JerseyJeeper like this.
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW
    1989 Husqvarna 50, 300 Yr Anniversary Edition.

Welcome George!! You've come to the right place. Ask questions anytime. We will all do our best to help if we can.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Greetings George. With the Tdub you won't be going fast but you will be going happy. Best of luck with your search for your bike.
    littletommy likes this.

You will love your TW when you get it!
    littletommy likes this.

tw200 006.JPG

I had not rode on two wheels for 25 years and:

Was 5 days past my 65th Birthday when I picked up the new, at the time, 2014, in March of that year....5200 miles, Moab, West Virginia, Upper Michigan, and the Hills of West Virginia, later not to mention local hard and gravel back roads, I don't and you won't regret it one bit....
    Tweaker, Mel, wolfy and 4 others like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

That's a NICE color bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    tw200 006.JPG

I had not rode on two wheels for 25 years and:

Was 5 days past my 65th Birthday when I picked up the new, at the time, 2014, in March of that year....5200 miles, Moab, West Virginia, Upper Michigan, and the Hills of West Virginia, later not to mention local hard and gravel back roads, I don't and you won't regret it one bit....
    admiral and Hoot Gibson like this.

Welcome from NY.
    littletommy likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Welcome from Maryland. I bought my TW three years ago at age 57. Took my test on it and have enjoyed just about every minute. Buy MX boots a good helmet and protective clothing. They may be slow and fun... But they can still get you in trouble. I broke my ankle four months in, riding I sand. I believe if I would have had MX boots I would have been fine.

Rick

You're doing the right thing! I'm 68 years old and hadn't been on a bike since back in the '70s. I just started riding my 'new' 1999 TW last year after a 50 year riding hiatus. The only thing that kept me from riding before this was the the dire warnings of impending disaster from my 91 year old mother. Now that she has passed, I am back in the saddle again. Nothing bad has happened yet, but I am a LOT less 'daring' than I was when I was a whippersnapper, too! Wear a helmet, be careful and have fun again......I sure am!
    Hoot Gibson and littletommy like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links