dirt bike school
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: dirt bike school

dirt bike school

Wondering what classes or schools anyone has attended specifically geared toward dual sport (NOT motocross) and what your impressions might be. Motoventures.com is appealing because one, it's reasonably close to my location and two, I'm impressed by LaPlante's (of Motoventures) book How to Ride Off Road Motorcycles.

Does MSF have a dirt school other than for children?

And a peripheral question, how does a rider north of age 50 learn dirt riding with minimal risk/broken bones?
    jtomelliott49, Peterb and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    And a peripheral question, how does a rider north of age 50 learn dirt riding with minimal risk/broken bones?
    Just take it slow, it will come together. Use the most caution in sand, that seems to trip new riders up quick. Above all pay attention to what's going on around you, other drivers especially.
    jtomelliott49 and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    ......And a peripheral question, how does a rider north of age 50 learn dirt riding with minimal risk/broken bones?
    Ride very slowly and never watch any videos of 20 somethings doing somersaults! The TW is perfect for this. Most of the dual sport training venues are targeted to larger bikes....The TW has an innate advantage over them because it is geared so low and is so light (comparatively). You can learn a lot from books about weight transfer up and down hills, braking technique, standing on the pegs to soak up bumps, balancing on side hills, etc......but the TW does not have enough power for many advanced dirt riding techniques, so some clinics will be of limited value. That doesn't mean you won't learn anything, but it would be a good idea to call the sponsors and question them about what is covered in their clinics and how the TW would fit in.....that is if they have ever heard of one....
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have read about a couple dirt riding schools and I would enjoy taking them even though I have ridden dirt bikes since '68 and even raced mx for a couple years.
    I would like to do the Rawhide school, the Flat Track school, adventure riding school, trail riding, and road racing track day schools.
    But there are no schools here in Alaska...

I like to take classes in everything and I always learn new things, better ways to do things, and alternate ways to do things.
    From skiing to hang gliding, scuba diving to mountain climbing, everything!

And the one activity I didn't get to take a class in was riding a snowmobile.

My wife and I were invited to join a group of friends riding snowmobiles into a remote cabin for a 3 day adventure and exploring the back country of Alaska.
    They even had a couple spare machines for us to ride so that we wouldn't even have to rent them.
    Since we all rode dirt bikes together they knew we would have no problem riding the snowmobiles since they are so simple and easy to operate.
    And they are! Thumb throttle like our atv, hand brake like a bike, and we were off.

Second day I was teaching myself how to carve turns when the track hit a buried clump of vegetation and it spit me off like the typical high side on a bike.
    They had told us in our "instructions" that falling off is fun because the snow is soft...
    What they didn't mention and I didn't think of is that like riding a horse, you have to keep your feet ready to slip out if you fall off.

Well, my foot got hung up on the machine and spiral fractured both bones in my leg in several places.
    I felt the pops as the bones broke while I was in the air.
    Fortunately we had gps and cell phones to call for the helicopter.
    The pain was in the "makes you throw up" range and I would have been just fine with them shooting me and leaving me there.

Seven days in the hospital, 3 surgeries, 3 years of twice a week physical therapy, and pain and limp for the rest of my life.

While waiting for the helicopter our friends all agreed that someone should have mentioned that you have to be ready to jump off and take your feet with you.
    Pretty obvious, eh?

Yes! Take every class you can. It will be the best thing you can do for your bones.
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

Wow.....broken bones suck. I've never had a broken bone. That says I've not done too much that could break my bones. hahaha. Left shoulder dislocation was bad enough. I agree on schooling for all things. I'm 66 and I don't think I want to try the things I used to try "back in the day". lol But I would love to do Moab some day. hahaha
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

EWB
    go to moab...I had a lifetime total of 120 miles of motorcycle riding. Went to Moab for a week and left with 100% more confidence and skills. I just did a ride on Friday and actually shocked myself and the speed and ability to tackle black Diamond trails. So much so I felt I could ride more aggressively than the TWs suspension could take...White spring was delivered today
    littletommy, Fred, admiral and 5 others like this.

Might want to just find a mentor. Just doing it on your own, going nice a slow you could learn a lot.

...over the next 20 years.

There is some simple stuff that would put you light years ahead of where you are now and give you some basics to work on while honing your skills. Simple stuff like focus on where you want to go/be rather than on the obstacles, get your ass off the seat and use your feet on the pegs (probably the biggest tip), arse back in sand and mud, throttle on, ... forward on hard pack making sharp turns, learn to skid your front tire, with and with out the brake, you really don't need to put your feet down most of the time, practice with your feet on the pegs, practice left AND RIGHT donuts and pick up your foot and exit..... from there learn to power slide....

There are a lot of things that an experienced dirt racer can show/tell you and some basic drills they could show you that you can practice on, that would put you way ahead of the game than going out and just trying to learn it yourself.

Look for some locale dirt bike races and get to know some of the competitors.
    Ask them for some help.

I would be happy to show you everything I know but that would take about three minutes.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 05-16-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW
    1989 Husqvarna 50, 300 Yr Anniversary Edition.

Another thing, I heard someplace that dirt bike racing is one of the most strenuous sports a going, more so than marathons, sprints and everything in between combined, more than football, basketball and chess, yes more strenuous than chess even, all together. It ain't an easy game and as fun as they make it look on TV that's why those supercross races are only four or five minutes long. you need to work on upper body/arm strength leg strength and stamina. Basically you whole body.
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW

...And another thing, you need a place to practice. Not groomed ORV trails or dirt roads. You need some woods single track trails or a track.
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
    Might want to just find a mentor. Just doing it on your own, going nice a slow you could learn a lot.

...over the next 20 years.

There is some simple stuff that would put you light years ahead of where you are now and give you some basics to work on while honing your skills. Simple stuff like focus on where you want to go/be rather than on the obstacles, get your ass off the seat and use your feet on the pegs (probably the biggest tip), arse back in sand and mud, throttle on, ... forward on hard pack making sharp turns, learn to skid your front tire, with and with out the brake, you really don't need to put your feet down most of the time, practice with your feet on the pegs, practice left AND RIGHT donuts and pick up your foot and exit..... from there learn to power slide....

There are a lot of things that an experienced dirt racer can show/tell you and some basic drills they could show you that you can practice on, that would put you way ahead of the game than going out and just trying to learn it yourself.

Look for some locale dirt bike races and get to know some of the competitors.
    Ask them for some help.

I would be happy to show you everything I know but that would take about three minutes.

Excellent advice if you can find someone to take you under your wing. Roninboise was my off-road mentor. If it wasn't for him I don't think I would have had the confidence to ride the single track trails I have, which have helped my overall riding skills on many types of roads and trails.

He didn't teach me any particular skill per se, just followed along behind him on trails I would've been to scared to try on my own.

Mentor's are good!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links