Garmin csx60 question
Close

I'm looking for a good GPS unit for my TW. I need it mostly for longish trips around the state, particularly using only back roads.

If I add a destination in google maps I can choose which path I want to take. Generally, the biking or walking path is all back roads which I like.. but without a gps it's impossible to find all the turns.

I am wondering if this unit can perform this function out of the box.. I don't want to pay 300 bucks then shell out 80 more for maps..

I just want something I can choose my route and have it tell me where to turn.. very much like a car gps. It will be all country roads with very little to no city use. I do not need it for the topo or trail stuff yet either.

Thanks

I have the 60cx, and it doesn't show any of the off road roads, dirt, gravel or anything. I think you would need something else to get this info.

My street gps, list all of these, but not weather proof. When I go in the Jeep I take both. I can find the roads, and use the 60 for geocaching.

Ktroy,

I have a 60csx. Had to buy the detailed street maps extra. Then had to buy extra memory chips to load in all the detail maps I needed/wanted.

Although it's a good unit, I found I didn't use it very much because of having to navigate the screen with buttons on the unit.

I ended up purchasing a low-end Garmin Nuvi for autos ($99. for a refurbished unit on ebay). It's not waterproof or vibration resistant, but the touch screen is so much easier to use than the buttons on the 60csx.

I have a handlebar mount for it, but I generally keep it in the pocket of my riding jacket. Otherwise I tend to stare at the screen instead of watching the road.

The cheapie Garmin doesn't have all the details. Many times if I'm riding the forest service roads, I will get a white screen with my location in the center. But I find it sufficient to get me back to civilization when I get lost.

hope this helps.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ktroy View Post
    I'm looking for a good GPS unit for my TW. I need it mostly for longish trips around the state, particularly using only back roads.

If I add a destination in google maps I can choose which path I want to take. Generally, the biking or walking path is all back roads which I like.. but without a gps it's impossible to find all the turns.

I am wondering if this unit can perform this function out of the box.. I don't want to pay 300 bucks then shell out 80 more for maps..

I just want something I can choose my route and have it tell me where to turn.. very much like a car gps. It will be all country roads with very little to no city use. I do not need it for the topo or trail stuff yet either.

Thanks
    The Nuvi 500 has it all and is waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktroy View Post

Thanks

I suggest you go to the Garmin Website and check out their GPS units there. The site does a good job of providing Technical Information, Screen Shots, and letting you know what is available for each unit. I'm preferential to the Zumo Units though not cheap work well on a motorcycle providing good road information - so good that sometimes the road the GPS tries to put you on looks like a wagon trail or ancient stage coach route. But even buying the Zumo I ended up buying a bunch of Topo Maps after I purchased the unit.

The 60 series Garmin GPS are a good unit and has a very good receiver for satellite pick up and is fairly priced but the screen is small and you will most likely purchase additional maps. You can also look at the Tom Tom Units but I know little about then and I'm biased towards Garmin since I have used them for many years both personally and professionally.

The feature I like best about GPS is that I can upload and download maps between my computer and the GPS. Its nice to see where you have been or where you camped, took that picture etc.

Good Luck on you purchasing decision.

Mike

PS Also realize that all GPS mapping has some errors on it so DO NOT follow GPS routes without question. So be careful. The Garmin subscription to mapping software is a good idea for those who need accurate and updated maps. I only update my maps every 3 years.

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

I purchased the Lowrance XOG GPS, it's small size, touch screen, and easy use is what i liked.Fits right up under my Jimbo Shield and is great for riding the back roads with its trails feature. All i have to do is ride and explore and it tracks where ever I go, so by the time I get back home I have a new map of all the logging roads and trails traveled that day. I havent loaded them yet, but topo maps are best as most of the logging roads here arent available in digital form and they deactivate them as fast as they build them these days. The GPS also has MP3 and a photo viewer for tracking all your trail shots. The only down side to this model is its short battery run time, but a USB power cord for 12V operation takes care of that. Got mine off E-bay for just over $130 canadian c/w cords and loaded with street maps.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Sponosred Links