Looking to get an older TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Looking to get an older TW

Looking to get an older TW

Hey all,
    I've been looking into getting a dirt bike for a little while now, and I'm pretty much sold on the TW200 from what I've read. I have absolutely no motorcycle or dirt bike experience but have a friend who's very knowledgeable about motorcycles so he could show me the ropes. I'm just looking for something I can use around the farm to take my dog out on runs (if I walk her I get tired way before she does). The TW seems a good fit for me since I'm not worried about going too fast, but if I enjoy it I would definitely consider taking a class to get my license so I could take it on the roads. I'm 5'11' and weigh about 190 if this makes any difference. I found a decent looking 87 on craigslist a few hours from where I live, but the post states it has clutch issues. If I could get this bike for a decent price ($1,000 asking) would this be a good buy? I've got a couple of friends who are pretty handy with motors, and I would like to learn how to work on them myself, just want to make sure that I wouldn't be biting off more than I could chew. My initial budget for this bike is 1500 give or take so at that price point it seems I'll be relegated to the older models. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, I've been going through posts on here to see what I should do to any used bike I buy and that's been helpful.

Also, I check craigslist at work everyday since I've seen how fast these bikes go when priced decently, so if anyone comes across a good deal within 3 hours of Nashville just shoot me a pm.
    Last edited by cocopufft; 05-19-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added location

Well, we know 87's are the fast ones! j/k joke from another thread. Welcome!
    You picked the right bike TW's are awesome!. The one you found sounds ok, clutch parts are easy to replace with basic tools and the parts are cheep.
    Bring one of your friends who knows bikes with you to look at it. Make sure it has good compression, the oil looks good, no leaks, no rust in the gas tank, runs and sounds ok, etc... the basics. Your friend should know what to look for. If not ask more questions here. We will help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopufft View Post
    Hey all,
    I've been looking into getting a dirt bike for a little while now, and I'm pretty much sold on the TW200 from what I've read. I have absolutely no motorcycle or dirt bike experience but have a friend who's very knowledgeable about motorcycles so he could show me the ropes. I'm just looking for something I can use around the farm to take my dog out on runs (if I walk her I get tired way before she does). The TW seems a good fit for me since I'm not worried about going too fast, but if I enjoy it I would definitely consider taking a class to get my license so I could take it on the roads. I'm 5'11' and weigh about 190 if this makes any difference. I found a decent looking 87 on craigslist a few hours from where I live, but the post states it has clutch issues. If I could get this bike for a decent price ($1,000 asking) would this be a good buy? I've got a couple of friends who are pretty handy with motors, and I would like to learn how to work on them myself, just want to make sure that I wouldn't be biting off more than I could chew. My initial budget for this bike is 1500 give or take so at that price point it seems I'll be relegated to the older models. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, I've been going through posts on here to see what I should do to any used bike I buy and that's been helpful.

Welcome to the forum Coco!

You may want to consider taking a safety course first to make sure that riding a bike something that you enjoy and will also give a good start without picking any bad habits that you have to break later on.

The '87 may or may not be a good deal, it all depends on it's condition and how much work it needs and where you are located. Keep eye on craigslist, the best deals usually don't last very long.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My luck is that the good ones always show up on the wrong coast! Good point on the riding class in advance, a pre-emotive strike against bad habits makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Welcome to the forum Coco!

You may want to consider taking a safety course first to make sure that riding a bike something that you enjoy and will also give a good start without picking any bad habits that you have to break later on.

The '87 may or may not be a good deal, it all depends on it's condition and how much work it needs and where you are located. Keep eye on craigslist, the best deals usually don't last very long.

Cocpuft, if riding is for you then it will change you in at least one way if not several.

Take the basic rider course It's good stuff !
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

To bad you don't have a pic of it. Taking a bike class would be a great idea. We will help you through just about anything you need to do on the bike. If it already needs work, try to get it cheaper, like maybe 750?? Then that leaves you plenty of $ for clutch parts, tires, battery, and whatever else you might find that it needs...

Welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I am not new to dirt bikes but I will be honest I am new to TW's and I have never been happier with a bike. The Dub is my therapist. Take the course, a side note is that the TW is used at a lot of training courses so you will know what you are getting into a head of time. I am 5'8" 200 lbs. and I am totally comfy!

It seems to me like when you look for two months there is always a nice one with 3000 miles or less which pops up at $2000 or less,
    They sell fast,
    I just missed one that was priced at $1200 and it took 3 days to sell,
    Something like this one
    89 Tw200 Yamaha - obo
    If you go $2000 or less for something which is ready to go,
    You can always sell it next year of you don't like it and not lose a penny,
    So,
    In my opinion,
    If you can afford it,
    Get the nicer one as you will always be happier riding it the next day instead of the next month ! ! !
    Peter B

Thanks for all the help so far. Here's the listing for the one with the clutch issues 1987 Yamaha tw200 big wheel , the one pred listed looks much cleaner in my opinion so if I can't talk that guy down I'll just keep looking. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get one since the longer I wait the more my budget will go up and the better chance I'll find a good deal on one closer to me.
    littletommy likes this.

I'd look close at the one you found, it might be a gem. A guy generally doesn't let his wife ride a junker.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopufft View Post
    Thanks for all the help so far. Here's the listing for the one with the clutch issues 1987 Yamaha tw200 big wheel , the one pred listed looks much cleaner in my opinion so if I can't talk that guy down I'll just keep looking. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get one since the longer I wait the more my budget will go up and the better chance I'll find a good deal on one closer to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links