Is the 1987 TW200 really the FASTEST most POWERFUL production EVER made?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Is the 1987 TW200 really the FASTEST most POWERFUL production EVER made?

  1. #1
    Senior Member pred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia and Pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    545

    Is the 1987 TW200 really the FASTEST most POWERFUL production EVER made?

    OK,
    I have read so many posts about the 87' being the fastest TW200 made,
    Tommy?
    Is there any truth to this?
    I now have a 97 and a 2003 both bone stock and I can tell you the 2003 starts easier and the 97 is cold blooded and likes to be really warm,
    The 97 has a slightly punchier exhaust note as well,
    Other than that,
    They feel about the same,
    Is there some truth to the 87' being peppier?
    Or is this just a perpetuating urban legend ?
    Anyone here with a 87' that can verify the claims?
    Thank you all,
    Peter B
    littletommy likes this.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,282
    Pete, they actually are.

    Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    OK,
    I have read so many posts about the 87' being the fastest TW200 made,
    Tommy?
    Is there any truth to this?
    I now have a 97 and a 2003 both bone stock and I can tell you the 2003 starts easier and the 97 is cold blooded and likes to be really warm,
    The 97 has a slightly punchier exhaust note as well,
    Other than that,
    They feel about the same,
    Is there some truth to the 87' being peppier?
    Or is this just a perpetuating urban legend ?
    Anyone here with a 87' that can verify the claims?
    Thank you all,
    Peter B
    Joemama and akalogan like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Senior Member elime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Pete, they actually are.

    I'll second that.
    littletommy and Joemama like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member jtomelliott49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,868
    I know my '87 is faster than my '99. Don't know why, but I know it's true.
    Tom in Wichita

    78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

  6. #5
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    [in-doo-bi-tuh-buh l, -dyoo-]
    Spell Syllables
    * Examples
    * Word Origin


    adjective
    1.
    that cannot be doubted; patently evident orcertain; unquestionable.
    Origin of indubitable
    Expand


    2. Only the ones that J.J. Works on..
    akalogan and littletommy like this.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,282
    They had to tone them down in 88 for the common people because they were "widowmakers"... in 87.

    I actually am surprised at how fast they really are. I have lost 60 lbs in the last 3 months and my bike just gets faster almost daily. It is actually surprising me. Just how fast is this bike??!!?? What if I lost 100 more lbs?? I am not kidding when I say this either, but it wants to wheelie off the lights now with very little effort. It almost comes up by just twisting the throttle... I'm starting to think I'm riding a "SuperBike"!!!
    akalogan and tree.bobby like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

  8. #7
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Our beloved TW is an ultra-dual sport bike, not a super bike, let's not get carried away here LT.

    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    They had to tone them down in 88 for the common people because they were "widowmakers"... in 87.

    I actually am surprised at how fast they really are. I have lost 60 lbs in the last 3 months and my bike just gets faster almost daily. It is actually surprising me. Just how fast is this bike??!!?? What if I lost 100 more lbs?? I am not kidding when I say this either, but it wants to wheelie off the lights now with very little effort. It almost comes up by just twisting the throttle... I'm starting to think I'm riding a "SuperBike"!!!

  9. #8
    Senior Member asphalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    mid Michigan
    Posts
    116
    Don't no about the 87...but my 98 is the fastest way I found to go back 30 years...its not about the speed...just a good ride on a awesome bike....no matter what year it is..

  10. #9
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Well put and 100% accurate! My TW is a time machine as well. It takes me back almost exactly 30 years every time I hop on. The 1987 model was in part designed by Delorean after he ran out of stainless steel and just after the back to the future movie was released in July of 85. Some say this is the primary reason for its speed but history shows it was really just a kangaroo project that was responsible. The time machine functionality was just a side effect from an experiment gone wrong and has been included in every model since, although it seems to exist in the earlier models as well to a small extent. No one can really explain why, exactly why, the 87 models are as fast as they are, there are theories sure but end of day no one really knows. It could be the ignition some say. I'm also thinking it could be the color scheme that year.

    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt View Post
    Don't no about the 87...but my 98 is the fastest way I found to go back 30 years...its not about the speed...just a good ride on a awesome bike....no matter what year it is..
    littletommy and 87bags like this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member elime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,973
    It is because the headlight goes out when it is idling and comes on when you rev it.
    JerseyJeeper and littletommy like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. JunoJumper/Cell phone-sized ultra-powerful battery pack
    By littletommy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2016, 07:00 PM
  2. 1987 TW's Are The Fastest, No Doubt.
    By littletommy in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 01:13 AM
  3. TW Production Numbers
    By PlacerLode in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 06:14 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 06:31 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Search tags for this page

87 tw200 fastesy

Click on a term to search for related topics.