Which rear rack and why? TW200 Newby
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Which rear rack and why? TW200 Newby

Question Which rear rack and why? TW200 Newby

Just picked up a 2013 with 109 miles on it. It is stock and I want to ad a rear rack that doesn't interfere with riding a passenger at times. Which rear rack do you recommend and why? Also is there a simple way to cary a small tool kit?

Thanks!

Jeff
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome from another newby. I like my moose racks. Look at this on eBay Moose Racing Expedition Rear Rack Silver for Yamaha TW200 87 09 | eBay

You will find a ton of info if you start looking . Under performance and customization is this thread https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...rage-tube.html
    littletommy likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

For a compact rack – check out Manracks – (cos it’s compact)

For a wider rack – check out “Happy Trails” – (cos it’s the only one we haven’t managed to break)
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No rear rack should interfere with riding 2 up. I like a big rack that can handle weight so I have had great luck with the Cyclerack brand and have had 7 of them so far. Others here trash them but this is the internet and you can't possibly please all the people all of the time. I never broke one yet but I am not wild and crazy or carrying a big load. Be careful which brand you do buy because if it relies on the strength of the rear sub frame then that makes it good for very little weight. I guess you need to say what it is you want to carry on a rack.

There should be a tool kit inside behind the right side cover where you access the battery. Not a great kit but should have enough tools to get you home except for a catastrophic failure.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    What's your budget? How much stuff do you think you will carry? Are saddlebags in your future?
    littletommy likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Manrack with rotopax set up. MBW

HAPPY TRAILS...the name says it all.....not to mention how strong they are..
    methamphetasaur likes this.

I really like my front and back carrier racks by Cyclerack. Solid as can be. Easy to install. Great customer support.
    goldenhtr likes this.

I, too, am shopping for a rear rack. I like the looks of the Manrack but I have two questions.
    1. On the rack described as "Rack W/Bungie Loops" what are the dimensions of the platform area of the rack?
    2. The front mounting brackets look a little whimpy and the back bracket bolts to a weak point on the bike; can this rack carry a 20-25# load day after day?
    Thanks
    George

All the mounting points are attached to a weak point on the bike – but as it also happens to be where anyone riding pillion will be sitting, the definition of “weak” becomes relative.

If you look at the various bits of metal that the fitting go through, you will see that they have inherent limitations – however, on the TW, these fixing points are the strongest available. Given the platform dimensions of the Manrack, these points are not subjected to “undue sideways or vertical forces”, and are far less likely to fail.

With a larger rear platform (such as the “Cycle rack”), the width of the thing produces sideways twisting (despite being anchored to the rear pegs) that applies more force to the mounting points, which is why so many have failed during “field tests”.

That isn’t to say that a Manrack can’t be overloaded, just that its dimensions tend prohibit this from happening, so it’s far more unlikely to occur.

I have no idea why this situation seems not to occur with the alternative (wide) “Happy Trails” rack, but they must be doing something better than “Cycle racks”.

From personal experience with a Manrack, I can assure you that you can pick up the rear of the bike by the rack and haul it around the place. So that’s the best part of around 80lb (at least) on the uplift capabilities (the whole bike weighs 280lbs). I haven’t got close to that on the “downforce” simply because the platform is small (which in answer to one of your questions, is about as large as it looks from the pictures of one mounted on the bike).

So – Manrack – too small to overload

Cycle rack – too big for its own good - (but with a free replacement guarantee if it does break, but that doesn’t cover the bits of your bike that will also inevitably suffer)

Happy Trails – wide, and haven’t managed to break one yet (we really must try harder).

Your choice …….
    littletommy and Nicoradv like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links