Fed up
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Fed up

Fed up

Guys. The rant below is not directed at YOU.
    But after hitting 2 local motorcycle shops in hopes of finding gear I could use,
    and after spending countless hours online, only to end up returning almost everything because they did not fit right,
    well... it has to be said.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Dear motorcycle dealerships,

Did you know women make up 50% of the population?

Did you also know we are the fastest growing market for new motorcycle riders?

Did you know women LOVE to shop?

Want to make some Easy Money and CA$H in on that fact?

Then Start Stocking Real Safety Gear We Can Wear!

And I don't mean those:
    • tight tshirt with the low cut neckline and cute little saying across the bust that an inmate of the Playboy Mansion would be embarrassed to wear,
    • skinny jeans with pockets so useless that spare change falls out and there's no hope of squeezing in hip or knee padding,
    • high heel boots that will make my calves look stunning until an unexpected dismount shatters my shin in a compound fracture,
    • gloves that are only available in men's size M, L, and Gorilla Paw.

We are your Mothers, your Sisters, your Wives and your Lovers. We RIDE the SAME bike you do, whether behind or beside you!

When that bike goes down, WE BREAK AND WE BLEED, often WORSE than you because You Won't get your head out of your ass and Make PROTECTIVE GEAR THAT WORKS FOR WOMEN !

Not that I'm bitter, or anything.

No.

I'mma just sit over here and brush my hair and bat my eyes and mutter about... .. . . . . . .. stuff.

Like, HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO BRING WOMEN RIDERS IN TO BUY YOUR MOTORCYCLES IF YOU DON'T HAVE GEAR THAT WILL KEEP THEM SAFE UNLESS THEY'RE A SIZE 6 TO 10?

DUDES! Have you not seen Mom Jeans? Moms wear 'em for a reason! They're COMFORTABLE and they're practical
    - probably they were hubby's that he outgrew, but they have REAL POCKETS, so his loss.

Do you realize that the super starlet you droool over that was in the latest blockbuster gets paid to work out 6 hours a day to maintain a size 0 that the rest of America can never hope to reach? American women are, on average, a size 12 to 14! That doesn't count the rising numbers who go several sizes over that and SURPRISE! still like to BE ACTIVE.

REALLY!

WE are the reality. WE are out here, making our own money, adding more to the economy even though we make on average less than you, with disposable income we just love to spend.

50% OF THE SPENDING POPULATION

But you're doing SO WELL, that you're just fine letting that market go.

Okay.

I see that.

That's fine.

Just remember that next time you ask the woman in your life to join you on a motorcycle ride.

Just remember that when the idiot in the 4 wheel box decides he wants to be in the same space she's currently occupying.

Just Remember that you start seeing the medical bills start rolling in because you thought women weren't serious riders, so they didn't need serious protection.

Just Remember That. And I hope it brings you cold comfort when the woman you love is crippled by constant pain because the gear that made her look so sexy left half of her skin on the pavement.

Sincerely,

a very mad, Mad, MAD, MAD Woman
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Lov not have you seen if there is a cycle gear store by your town? I go there for gear n oil and I see they have female street and dirt gear and helmets for women.Maybe that place can help you and shops and the industry in general need to change there old style thinking because it alienates far more people then it helps.I also feel amazon n the net has killed off alot of mom n pop shops business as well.

Wish I could help. I know this don't help but even the RIE catalog, that used to be for mountain climbers, back packers and adventurers is now 50% women's clothing, 10 % useful gear, 10% men's clothing, and the rest is just junk like lawn gnomes, doilies, and knick knacks.
    2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW
    1989 Husqvarna 50, 300 Yr Anniversary Edition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Rie sold out to sierra club

You want a place like the local store near me:
    Shop online at Hammertime Sports, Inc.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Quote Originally Posted by rebelyell View Post
    Rie sold out to sierra club
    Figures. Owned by a bunch of wannabees that buy $600.00 Gucci hiking boots that will never see real dirt on their soles.

2005 Husqvarna 55R21HV
    1995 Kitchen Aid KSM90WW
    1989 Husqvarna 50, 300 Yr Anniversary Edition.

LuvNot, it sounds like Aerostich might be the way to go for you. It's expensive, but you can have their suits made in almost any size and tailored to fit you perfectly.

Roadcrafter Classic :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by rebelyell View Post
    Lov not have you seen if there is a cycle gear store by your town? I go there for gear n oil and I see they have female street and dirt gear and helmets for women.Maybe that place can help you and shops and the industry in general need to change there old style thinking because it alienates far more people then it helps.I also feel amazon n the net has killed off alot of mom n pop shops business as well.
    The local Cycle Gear store is one of the culprits. Yes, they have a small selection of women's gear, but it's all sized for the 20 something military kids who want to look cool and sexy. The guys in there are apathetic to my requests. I've tried SEVERAL times to get them, and the guys at the local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki shop, and the Harley shop to bring in larger sizes and stock women's boots. They are always willing to order something out of a catalog, but that's no better than me doing that on my own at home.

Case in point:
    The Harley shop had two shelves of men's heavy duty boots, and 2/3rd of their clothing was heavy leather gear for the guys. The women's section? Pretty t-shirts, skinny jeans, and one shelf of dressy boots, half of which were high heeled and the others were useless for protection.

The Japanese shop has a handfull of coats for women, and that's it. No other gear. The rest is guys and kids dirt bike wear.

Cycle Gear has the best selection of styles, but they're all for tiny people who haven't hit the middle age spread yet.

I'm well past my salad years, but have more disposable income than ever and the time and desire to actively use it. I'm told the reason these stores don't carry more women's gear is because there aren't that many women riders... but that's a self-fulfilling cycle. Women can't buy what's not available. Women are generally cautious and safety conscious. If we think a sport is unsafe, we'll think twice about getting into it. If there's no gear that makes us feel safe, then chances are we'll move on to something else, or be like me and try to make men's gear work.

I'm not asking anyone on the forum to make a change. No single person can change the industry. But I had to get that off my mind. I donno... maybe if guys start making noise about the lack of gear for the women in your life, the guys at the shop will start to take note? I'll probably send an open letter to a couple of the local dealerships around here too. Doubt it will help, but maybe? I can hope.

Y'all sleep well. We'll solve world hunger and destroy ISIS tomorrow.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Come to Canada, the stores around here have a bit more gear for woman.
    Are there any custom shops around where you are?
    My daughter and I went to local company ( Rubbersidedown ) and were fitted ( measured) for custom pants and you could add pockets if you wanted that were then custom made offshore. They cost about the same as the name brand pants. When the pants arrive you try them on and any other tayloring is done. They also do jackets.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Make ISIS wear those size 6 high heels.
    Sympathy but no solutions from me short of advising somehow sharing your very correct observations with manufactures and/or purchase agents for vendors.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links