New guy here
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: New guy here

New guy here

Hello to all.

Daniel aka Brokennose (old gamer handle)

I'm a newby entering into the bike scene. Decided on a dual sport for my first. This way I'll have a utility/trail bike that I'll still like and use after I upgrade to a real street bike.
    The more I look around the more I'm being pulled to the TW200. Absolutely love that its barely changed through out its existence. Love that its still carbureted and the ease of maintenance.

My plan now is A. locate a TW200.... buying new isnt off the table but seems an awful waste.
    Service manual.... Ive got a few old IH Scouts (66 800, 1980 Scout II)and if I've learned nothing else, its that the service manual is the bible that answers all questions, and puts you on the right path.

Couple mechanical upgrades in mind, but that's all depending on what I end up with.

Any tips for a prospective buyer and new owner?

I'll update when I bring one home. Thanks for providing the info and knowledge base to tap from.

Daniel

Welcome from Maryland. Please update your profile with city and state and we can possibly help you find a used bike.
    TWilight likes this.

Welcome to the forum!

The pricing and availability of used TW's vary greatly depending upon the location. There are really no bad model years that you need to avoid. 1987's were the first model year and have an electrical system that is unique to that single year. Years 1988 -2000 are virtually identical with the exception of colors and graphics. Beginning with year 2001, Yamaha took away the kickstarter and replaced the front drum brake with a disc brake.

The service manual and supplements are available for downloading here:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html

Any questions, just ask. We are always happy to provide misinformation and bad advice .

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks fellas.

Profile updated... Maryland?!?!? Welcome to the big 10!!! GO BUCKEYES!!

Thanks for the link Brian.

Definitely want the kick starter. However I end up I'll be looking to add that if need be.

I personally would buy 2010 and above. there was improvements to the head base gasket. I have a 2006 and mine leaks. Depending on your skills Kick starters may be less expensive to install.
    Last edited by TopPredator; 05-26-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Daniel, put a "WanterTW200" add on Craigslist I got mine in three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokennose View Post
    Hello to all.

Daniel aka Brokennose (old gamer handle)

I'm a newby entering into the bike scene. .....
    Boy, I l dunno, you might want to think of another handle! But then, you know what actors say to each other just before going on stage: "Break a leg."

Actually, the TW200 service manual leaves a bit to be desired in some areas.....but THIS FORUM doesn't!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Brokennose I was in the exact same boat as you a year or so ago. The TW's a damn near perfect choice. Inexpensive, easy to maintain, easy to work on, easy to modify, and not fast enough to get you into too much trouble on the street. Buy used and be patient, good deals pop up from time to time. There's a Classifieds section on the forum I'd check reguarly, some real gems from trusted forum members pop up over there as well.

As far as kickstarters go, there's a forum member who's been working on putting together an aftermarket kickstart kit together for our bikes for relatively cheap. Search "Zongshen kickstarter kit" it should pop up. May be an option to pursue if you find a good deal on a newer bike.

Best of luck, searching for the right bike's half the fun!
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Boy, I l dunno, you might want to think of another handle! But then, you know what actors say to each other just before going on stage: "Break a leg."

Actually, the TW200 service manual leaves a bit to be desired in some areas.....but THIS FORUM doesn't!
    Lol I know... after years an years the logins and passwords become overwhelming. These type of forums all get the same so I dont have to remember more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links