I stole this thread topic from another site..
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: I stole this thread topic from another site..

I stole this thread topic from another site..

What slowed YOU down ? and when ?

Me I've had scary fast bikes and went faster than I should have but honestly I was never really fast only half fast at best.

What about you ?
    akalogan likes this.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Back in 1972 while in the USN in Norfolk, Va. I bought a new Kawasaki H2 750 triple which at that time was touted as the fastest stock bike on the road. I immediately had the engine balanced and blue printed, ported and polished and installed a set of Bill Werges tuned expansion pipes. The bike ran like a raped ape and was scary as can be but only in a straight line. It was terrible on curves and for any real road riding, just fast.

Fast forward to around 6 years ago and my younger brother bought a new Suzuki Hyabusa he let me take for a blast. WOW is all I can say. My Kawasaki was quick but nothing in comparison to the monster Busa. 150 MPH was a very easy speed to hit and there was plenty left but not by me. Certainly not Half Fast IMO but then a buddy took me for a drive in his Porsche 911 Turbo and scared me even worse hitting over 170. I am much happier on a TW doing 50 these days.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I got a speeding ticket last year for doing 97 in a 65,
    Not as bad as you might think since earlier on the same 2 lane I was going a bit faster,
    It was a lucky day for me.
    Im 50

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

lol.. I thought you were a young kid..

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    I got a speeding ticket last year for doing 97 in a 65,
    Not as bad as you might think since earlier on the same 2 lane I was going a bit faster,
    It was a lucky day for me.
    Im 50

I'm still fassssst!

In my own mind..

Quote Originally Posted by Eatmore Mudd View Post
    What slowed YOU down ? and when ?

Me I've had scary fast bikes and went faster than I should have but honestly I was never really fast only half fast at best.

What about you ?
    Good topic.

I've gotten faster than my talents intended, twice. First time, was trying to bounce back after my horrific wipeout...I'd been riding a year. I found a Kawasaki triple two-stroke...knowing NOTHING about them. I disremember the size; I think it was a 500. Don't recall the year, either.

Those in the know, know that the chassis on those 1970s Kows were nothing to write home about. It was like a bunch of Japanese kids hung an outboard motor on a cheap bicycle frame. There was NO sorting of the chassis; yet the power was insane.

It was not the kind of ride for someone trying to unlearn fear. I sold it, taking a loss, and hanged up my helmet.

Time goes one; and I got back into riding. My fiftieth birthday present to myself. I worked myself back up...starting at a Virago 250, and up to a BMW R1200 GS. THAT was fast - oh, and a well-worked chassis, too. And HEAV-YYY...over 700 pounds, IIRC. Tall, too.

I got it up to over 130, a couple of times...on South Dakota rural highways. Now I can say I done it.

What took me off that...was my health.

South Dakota was a temporary job, albeit a good-paying gig. When that was over, I was outta work again...and I had an interview to do in Dallas. I took the R1200.

That was right when that tornado hit Joplin, Missouri. I was traversing my way from Michigan to Dallas, and five days after it hit, I was just outside town.

Got a motel that night...which was a lucky strike. Next morning my leg was ON FIRE. Looked and felt like textbook phelebitis.

There was NO clinic or ER or physician available. I'd have had to go to the local ER and be put in triage, and wait maybe days.

And, with a swollen, painful leg...getting on that monster bike was REALLY dangerous. Every stoplight was to be dreaded. I wondered what would happen if I lost feeling in the leg and couldn't mount or work the controls or stop it...or if I had an issue and collapsed while moving on the thing.

Didn't matter. My only choice was to get to Dallas or die trying. As it happened, by the time I could get to medical care the issue had subsided and to this day I STILL don't know what I had. But that told me: I'm too old for this; this is too much machine.

I stepped down and continue to do so. A Honda CB1100; and now my Wee-Strom. And I had a TW and liked it; and I expect I'll get another soon.

I was never fast, only halfassed. But what REALLY slowed me down was riding through a barb wire fence 38 years ago. In fact it slowed my riding to a dead stop for 32 years. Then I got a TW.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

2002 Suzuki Hayabusa in traffic doing around 75mph - hit a sod roll because I didn't have time to react. The bike managed to "pop" right over it, but the skid marks are still present. No more following traffic for me, now I usually cruise 5mph faster than the traffic speed.

I had that bike up to 170mph for about 10 seconds - mind blowing to go that fast. (for me)
    Last edited by 1911garand; 05-28-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Quote Originally Posted by 1911garand View Post
    2002 Hayabusa in traffic doing around 75mph - hit a sod roll because I didn't have time to react. The bike managed to "pop" right over it, but the skid marks are still present.
    Skid marks on the road? Or in your shorts?

Quote Originally Posted by Flathats View Post
    Skid marks on the road? Or in your shorts?
    Yes.....
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links