How do you GPS?
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: How do you GPS?

How do you GPS?

Wondering how others are GPS-ing the TW.

This is the way I went (because it is cheep and easy, like the TW). It works well. Not water proof, but my tank bag has a clear area for it.

Garmin Nuvi 2455LMT: I already owned it, plus it gets free life time updates. Shows gravel / min maintenance roads well, no trails.

RAM handle bar mount: RAM Rail Base with Zinc Coated U-Bolt & 1" Ball for Rails from 0.5" to 1.25" in Diameter Unpackaged - RAM-B-231ZU | RAM Mounts

RAM Universal Phone / GPS mount: Search for RAM-HOL-PD3U - Page 1

RAM extension: RAM Double Socket Arm for 1" Balls (Overall Length: 3.69") Unpackaged - RAM-B-201U | RAM Mounts

RAM Ball (to mount on back of Universal phone / GPS mount): Search for RAP-B-238U - Page 1

12V power plug mounted to the front fairing to power it all up.

My Nuvi has a card slot. I need to figure out if it can accept .GPX maps and all that jazz.

Here is how it looks, how is yours:

Last edited by 1911garand; 05-29-2016 at 06:54 AM.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Garmin GPSMAP 64s Ram mount and 12 volt outlet.
    I bought the BC trail maps and have found maps free online for Alaska, Utah and Oregon.
    image.jpeg
    Here on the Wee, I also have the TW and WR set up to use it.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

2016-05-29-07-24-27-1.jpg

I bought a female side cigarette lighter socket that I have ziptied to the handlebar, and I use the windshield suction cup on the back side of the windscreen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A 2009 TomTom model. (And a 2010 upgraded model) Which I DO NOT RECOMMEND. The logic on the two TomToms I have - both are, in brief, messed up.

They both give the option: "Fastest" "Shortest" "Stay off Freeways."

"Fastest"....INVARIABLY routes the user over the nearest interstate. No lie, this...on a two-mile journey with an interstate stretch close by, it will literally route the user to a cloverleaf, have him take a six-mile run to the next exit, and then drive back four miles. IDIOCY. Turns a two mile trip into a fifteen-mile circular ride.

"Shortest"...will take you over every paper street, back alley, fire road, that's in your way. Literally...it will have you getting off the freeway, onto the exit ramp, and back on...to save twenty feet. Not once but numerous times. Sadly, the way the map is presented on the screen, too close-up...unless you already know you're not to get off, you can make the mistake of following its prompts. If you're in an unfamiliar area and know you have to get off close by, it can sucker you that way, and it has.

And I've come close to throwing the things out the window for that reason.

But I have them and right now is not a good time for me to be buying stuff. They're okay in telling the user where he IS. They're a great AID to map use and trip planning.

But at least on those models in those years, the logic is totally screwed up.

I have one of them on the cycle, with a Ram ball-mount anchored to the handlebar. Power is on a cord strung along the gas tank with rubber clips glued to a seam, where trim meets tank (this, on the Wee-Strom) and then under the seat. I draw power from the battery-tender cord - I just bought a second quick-connect cord, and spliced it to a cigarette-lighter socket off an power-extension cord; and plugged in the TomTom lighter-jack plug. All under the seat, but the quick connect pokes out underneath. For quick DISconnect.

Except for the TomTom's messed-up logic, it all works well. I'll say this: Both of those old TomToms have been in pouring rain, and they've kept on working.

Just bought a Garmin Etrex 10. a basic "hiking" type GPS for those off road adventures. Putting a Ram mount on my Father's day list.
    garmin.jpg
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Just bought a Garmin Etrex 10. a basic "hiking" type GPS for those off road adventures. Putting a Ram mount on my Father's day list.
    garmin.jpg
    How does a Garmin compare to those TomToms?
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I have been on the fence about the whole GPS thing for a couple of years now. I am not the most tech-oriented person, but I seem to be part of a shrinking minority of touring riders who does not have/use a dash-mounted GPS.

My research has led me to believe that the Garmin Montana is just about the best thing going, but as usual the "best" comes at a price!

cf-lg.jpg
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod523640.html

I'm think I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger...
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I find the small screens of hand-help mapping GPSs severely limit their usefulness. Sure they will show you where you are, but for planning purposes , like "Where does this road go?" by the time one scrolls out to try to see the big picture the road of interest usually disappears from the displayed data. My Garmin Oregon gathers dust as a result. A small GPS-chipped tablet can show a lot more for a lot less money.
    Smitty Blackstone and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I would like to have a dedicated GPS but haven't felt I ride areas where one is needed so haven't spent the $$ yet. I have Motion X-GPS downloaded on my IPhone 5c, with a generic phone holder on the handle bars. Actually I think it is a mountain bike phone holder, but it's working well so far. I still need a USB charger because the GPS does kill the battery fairly fast.

The Motion X was only a few dollars to download. There is a long thread on advrider with lots of info. It does a lot of stuff, but biggest thing is unlike most cell phone maps, it DOES NOT need a cell phone signal for the GPS to work. It can run on just the GPS signal, but will use cell signal for better accuracy if availability. Shows lots of small trails. You can load maps to the phones internal storage. There is an option to zoom in on an area to get more detail, but this has to be done ahead of time and uses more space, but can be deleted later. It records tracks, stores waypoints, you can enter co-ords, and can be set up to send location updates if you have a cell signal.
    I usually don't have it on while riding due to batt life and no charger. I will stop and check trail names, see where the trail goes, and mark places so I can get back. I am definitely not an expert or GPS techie so I recommend doing the research before you rely only on it as your GPS. Start with the thread on ADVrider. I do remember there being two different Motion X apps. One was more street oriented so make sure it's the right one.

RE: How do you GPS?

Grease pencil, laminated maps, strip maps, roll chart and trip odometer.

Yah I need a GPS. Somehow something higher priority always comes along to trump that purchase.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links