Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By LuvNot
  • 2 Post By LuvNot
  • 5 Post By LuvNot
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Wrist Brace?

Wrist Brace?

Does anyone wear a wrist brace when riding? If so, what type/brand?

Like many office workers, I fight carpel tunnel on a daily basis. Through a combination of ergonomic keyboards, stretches, and wrist brace with a metal shank for palm support, I usually manage flair-ups fairly easily. But sometimes I get overly rambunctious at home and sprain my wrist. It would be nice to find a decent brace that provides enough compression and support without cutting circulation off in my hand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    TWilight and akalogan like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    LuvNot, a wrist brace can easily be bought at any major drug store, even a lot of little independent drug stores have a large selection of braces...
    True, there are a wide variety, but I was hoping someone already experimented with styles and already figured out which one would offer support without getting in the way. I'll go forth and be the guinea pig.

Now, looking past the brace.....which wrist is it that is hurting...the right or left ? Makes a difference.
    It's the right hand, of course. Though I guess that's actually better than the left because working a clutch with this kind of ache or with numb fingers would not be good.

Think about using some Grip Puppies I have these on all my bikes, but for different reasons, as I cannot close my right hand (injury) ... If you have smaller hands, and do not want a larger diameter grip....think about using a throttle rest...palm rest
    I was about to order the throttle rocker, but think I'll go for the Grip Puppies first.

Far too often riders GRIP their handgrips on the bike...too tightly. I have seen this, and have tried to instruct riders to just gently hold the handlebars, use your palms to push the bars one way of the other, and to NOT squeeze the hand grips so hard that you strain your hands or wrists.
    YES. That's exactly what started this! It's rained so much the rubber grips I have on the bars are slipping, even with gloves on, so I white knuckle it. The foam will probably work great to A.) prevent slippage, and B.) absorb some vibrations.
    TWilight and akalogan like this.
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    As for your carpal tunnel - Get those grips as high as you can.
    Thanks for that suggestion. Luckily, I probably haven't had this much trouble earlier than now because I did put the 2" riser on the bike. Being short, I really like the higher grips. Now if it would just stop raining for a while... I might not have as much trouble...

Hope y'all have a great Memorial Day! Stay Safe, but Have Fun!
    littletommy, Mel, TWilight and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I suffer the same as you Luv and I installed Pro Taper ATV high bars and grips called Mushrooms. Problem solved!

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    I have foam grips on the PC800. Finding that I tend to grip the throttle side more firmly. Maybe because I have to lube the throttle cable?

Seriously, the foam keeps you conscious of grip tenacity.

Sponosred Links