Hello and ask advice
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Hello and ask advice

Hello and ask advice

I was looking for a dual sport bike and have narrowed it down to a few choices, being as my inside leg is only 31 inches it cuts out bikes like DRZ400SM and KLR650 etc, and I really don't want to lower a bike.
    So I was looking at the XT250 Yamaha and then I noticed the TW200, I watched videos and its like love at first sight. I have never heard of this bike before, how I don't know.
    Presently I have a Suzuki Savage 650 that I run to work in the warmer months, so speed is not a big deal with me. The last time I rode a bike flat out was when I was 20 on my Z650 and that was 38 years ago
    My ride to work is 26km each way, no highway, but a stretch of road with a 90kph limit of about 10 km in length the rest at 80kph. Oh, there are a few hills to climb.
    So my question, do you guys think the TW could be a good commuter bike? I don't need to go past the 90kph limit as the Police live on this road and make a killing in speeding fines.
    I could see myself riding to work and then going out with my camera on the logging roads on weekends. At the moment I dont ride for pleasure as bikes just don't do it for me anymore, I want more than a ride to Tim Hortons for coffee, I want a smile from ear to ear . If the TW you feel is not going to cut it then I will get my second choice the XT250 and here they are the same price, TW $4999, XT 5100.
    Thanks for reading, and I have loved reading and looking around the forums here over the last weeks.

Welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

When I was still working I had a commute similiar to yours and the TW did just fine and although the little engine feels like it is going to explode at the higher speeds it does just fine and gives great MPG and many "smiles per mile".
    I installed a 15 tooth sprocket and that calmed the little beast down somewhat at the higher speeds.
    ejfranz and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

At 90 kph the TW is at its limit. Get the XT250, it will be a better bike for you.

If 90 kph is all you require, a stock TW will have no issues.
    Mine is geared lower and still pulls 90 kph.
    The xt is a better road bike, but the TW is the better trail bike.
    Dubster and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

90 KPH equals 55 MPH.
    Not bad for a tw200.
    Smitty Blackstone and GaryL like this.

I sat on one a few weeks ago and I believe it's a little taller and fuel injected.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    At 90 kph the TW is at its limit. Get the XT250, it will be a better bike for you.

With all due respect I disagree. Not only did I commute with my TW but I also had it on two 4000klm plus adventure tours fully loaded with all the gear I needed. There were times during those trips when I was forced to run on the highways and hold the throttle WFO for extended periods. Like I said before the bike did just fine and had no problem doing the speed limit of 100kph although on long hills at higher altitudes the speed suffered somewhat. You just need to keep your eye on the oil level during extended high speed runs. My bike now has over 25,000km's on it and she runs just as good as the day I bought it.
    The OP said he was looking for a bike that would give him a "smile from ear to ear". Of all my bikes, two of which are much more capable highway machines, I get more "smiles per miles" from the little TW. The thing is just so much fun to ride. IMHO
    Last edited by Dubster; 05-29-2016 at 07:02 PM.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Welcome zippythezip

I ride my TW to work 13 miles each direction on a two lane highway with speeds reaching 55 mph with no problems. I actually rotate my bikes so I don't ride the TW everyday but when I do ride it, I am more likely to meander home on twistier back roads that run along our shoreline just because the TW is so fun in meander mode. If I had gravel forest roads here I would take them on my ride home but pretty much any gravel road I turn up is going to land me in someone's front yard....don't think they would appreciate that
    Currently enjoying a great mix...
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

Thanks for the replies folks, sounds like the little bike could do it but no more. If only the little bike had another 25cc on the motor.
    Going to work is good for me as I am nearly always the only one at 6.30 am. Coming home at 4pm is nuts with the crazies rushing home to the couch.
    This weekend I will be going into Moncton NB and have a look at these bikes in the flesh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links