Advice on current riding gear.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Advice on current riding gear.

Advice on current riding gear.

I need new safety gear. I'm a bigger guy. 42 waist, xxl 52" shirt, beer belly (allot invested) . Can anyone provide advice on what brands they use and if they are happy?

What do you wear and why?

I have alpine star boots, they're ok. I need pants protectors etc.

They're probably allot of us short on gear. This thread could kickstart people to get in gear.. Literally...
    littletommy likes this.

I go all out with my riding gear and buy just the latest and greatest. Warm weather, denim jacket, work boots, mechanics gloves. Cold weather, leather jacket, work boots, leather gloves, and turn on my Oxford heated grips.
    littletommy and Eatmore Mudd like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Helmet and a 12 pack is all you need.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a four-year-old Speed&Strength riding coat...with three removable inside layers. It's a bit warm in summer; but below 70 degrees, down to freezing, it does the job. Waterproof, too.

I got it as a closeout - it was a patterned lime-green with reflective silver. A Power-Ranger coat. Fine...I don't care.

Riding pants: I have Bilt Kevlar jeans. So far I've been wearing ankle-height work boots. Wal-Mart riding gloves with knuckle protectors. Warm weather, I'll go with unprotected, vented leather riding gloves.

And one of two HJC helmets - modular or full-face. The full-face is quieter - good for long distance. The modular is easier to live with in town....easier to put on and take off; easier to get a honk off the canteen.
    littletommy and Eatmore Mudd like this.

Watch the clearance and close out racks. Just picked up a waterproof three season textile jacket with removable liner and armor for $70. My brother got his size XXXL off the same rack for $49
    Found his size gigantic high dollar winter gloves on close out at another place for $39

Gear and the fit is where you find it. About my jean jacket and work gloves on some rides in warmer weather, I'm just rocking it old school
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Where are good places to look for closeouts on riding gear? I would like some basic protection but don't want to overdo it or sweat to death in the warm months.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jduncan740 View Post
    Where are good places to look for closeouts on riding gear? I would like some basic protection but don't want to overdo it or sweat to death in the warm months.
    http://cyclegear.com
    Jduncan740 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I was going to start this same conversation today!
    I need some lower half protection mainly for the asphalt miles. The problem that I'm facing is that pants that fit my waist would have knee padding somewhere between my ankles and the arches of my feet. I've seen some manufacturers fit charts that include short sizes but I have not seen any vendors include short sizes in their offerings. Does anybody know if any of the manufacturers actually make short sizes and will any of the vendors make them available?

I found an EVS chest protector that fits large sizes pretty well (I am a 48" to 50" chest depending). Draggin Jeans has some decent sizing options and they seem to work well, although I do not have a pair myself. I have started wearing padded compression shorts (EVS TUG02 Impact Short) under my standard jeans when my riding pants are a little fashion prohibited in town. They still run small at 2xl (I am a 42in waist). I wear entry level Answer boots and they are pretty decent for $100. I got a pair of Fox comp 5s for my son on closeout for $125, they are very nice, comfortable, great buckles, very good protection.

Helmet is GMAX 11D Fit my large and hard to fit head well and so far very comfortable and versatile for the $. XL fit where normally I need 2xl or bigger.
    Last edited by Mattwings; 05-31-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jduncan740 View Post
    Cycle Gear, Eagle Leather, any and every motor cycle shop. You can call the motorcycle shops ahead of time to save a trip. Ask about close outs and discounts on last years model.
    Got the wife a brand new last years version Firstgear jacket for about half price.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links