• 2 Post By JustPassinThru
  • 1 Post By Cornelis
  • 5 Post By vanillagorilla1
  • 2 Post By Tripp99
  • 1 Post By mrlmd
  • 1 Post By Mattwings

Thread: 99 tw200

99 tw200

So I finally got lucky a few weeks ago and found a clean 99 TW not too far from where I live with about 8,000 miles on it going for $1400. Long story short I'm now a proud owner of a TeeDub! Even though it's an older model, the owner seemed to have taken good care of the bike and used it mainly for commuting to work. So I feel pretty good about the condition of it. It's been running great so far! Anything I should know about this particular year? Also any tips for taking good care of this bad boy would be greatly appreciated. I have little experience with mechanics but I'm not afraid to try and learn a thing or two! Here's a pic of the bike [ATTACH=CONFIG]30774
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh gawd not a 99!!!!

Ok I'm just giving you a hard time. Nice looking bike. I like the old style bikes. I think they were built a little better. Some may argue but all the old ones I've seen have better crappy welds and such. I like the fork leg drains that were removed on later models. I also like the simpler slide carb vs the cv on the newer ones.

If I were to pick one thing to check I would say check the cam chain adjuster. Might I add that any new bike I would comb over and tune up. Check chain and tires. Change oil, adjust valves, clean air filter, lube swing arm pivot,ect. A shop manual is a must have. Have fun
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

There are shop manuals you can d/l for free.

I can't tell you how I know - that would violate rules. But Google can be a friend - and if it lets you down, try Startpage.
    littletommy and Tripp99 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I recommend all of the above and I want to emphasize that you check the cam chain because it is usually the main thing that gets overlooked on a TW!

It requires a bit of technical expertise to do it yourself so I recommend taking it to the local Yamaha dealer or any good bike shop so that the mechanics check it for you.

If the cam chain is too slack it has a negative influence on the bike's performance.
    littletommy likes this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

When you change the oil. For the love of God use the right oil filter. Hopefully that will keep you off the "I got a new dub and blew it up" list. 4 small holes on the end. If you get one without the holes take it back and throw it at the parts guy behind the counter!!
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

I recommend all of the above and I want to emphasize that you check the cam chain because it is usually the main thing that gets overlooked on a TW!

It requires a bit of technical expertise to do it yourself so I recommend taking it to the local Yamaha dealer or any good bike shop so that the mechanics check it for you.

If the cam chain is too slack it has a negative influence on the bike's performance.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll get that checked for sure.
    Cornelis and littletommy like this.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Also check out the age of the tires by looking at the date stamp in a little rectangular box on the sidewall. The first two numbers are the month, and the last two numbers are the year, of manufacture of the tires. If they are original (17 years old), despite the amount of tread left on them, they will be hardened from age and dangerous if you ride on the roads because they have lost a lost of traction with age. If you are just going to ride offroad on trails, they may be OK, but you still have to get there via paved roads most of the time. It's recommended to change out tires every 6-7 years or so, as a safety issue.
    The nice thing about the older bikes is that they came with a kickstarter, nice to have in an emergency.
    littletommy likes this.

Tires based on the picture, oil, chain, timing chain, really simple bikes!
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links