Going from green sticker to street legal
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Going from green sticker to street legal

Going from green sticker to street legal

Hey All ,I've got a line on a very clean low mileage 2003 TW that's only been a green sticker bike since it was first sold .I want to buy this bike and reg. it for the street do any of you see any pit falls ,i.E. back reg. or other problems that I might occur thank you. It's a stock Calif bike ..DMV is closed today and can't find a definite answer and would like to get this done tonight but don't want to buy problems .Thank Again, Green sticker is current

Hi Don,

You should be able to get this bike registered for street use in California.

First of all, make sure that it still has the California emissions sticker which should be on the inside of the left side cover over the air filter. There are two phillips head screws that need to be removed to remove this cover. If DMV won't directly issue you a plate, there is a process called dual registration that you can use which results in both an on road registration and an off road green sticker registration. You may have to educate the DMV clerks on how to do this since it is not very common. I can dig up the sections of the DMV code that you will need. You will also need to get a brake and light inspection done to confirm that all the street required electrical stuff is in place and functioning.

It's been a few years since I have done this but I should be able to find all the information that you will need to do this.

Brian

TW-Brian to the rescue again.
    littletommy, GTG, joeband and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, donA for bringing this subject up. I was wondering about off-road licensing requirements -- mainly because I wasn't even aware there were special requirements until my son mentioned something about green/red stickers. He used to work for CalFire, and when I said I wanted to ride forest service roads, he said I likely needed more than just my street plate. It never occurred to me that if I was licensed, I couldn't just pull off the road and continue.

donA's question is the reverse of mine. I know I'd appreciate if someone could summarize what 'off road' riding means, legally, where special licenses are required, etc. Thanks.

Here are the requirements for riding off-highway in California. Basically, if your bike has a plate and an approved spark arrester/muffler you can ride anywhere that OHV's are allowed at any time of the year. You do not need a Green or Red sticker if you have street legal license plate.

OHV Registration Requirements

Street-Legal License Plate: If you want to operate a 4-wheel drive vehicle or dual-purpose motorcycle on- and off-highway, you must have a street-legal license plate.

Green or Red Sticker: If you are going to operate a motorized vehicle off-highway only, you must have either a Green Sticker or a Red Sticker that has been issued by the DMV.

The Green Sticker allows vehicles to operate on public lands all year. The Red Sticker is for motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 and newer that do not meet the emission standards established by the California Air Resources Board. If the vehicle has a "3" or a "C" in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number, it does not meet the emission standards and should be issued a Red Sticker.

The Red Sticker is exactly the same as the Green Sticker except these vehicles can only be operated during certain times of the year. To find out when you can operate your vehicle, call the specific riding area you want to visit or view the information on the Red Sticker Open Riding Schedule web page.

Great info,
    Does that include street legal licence plates from other states or does it need to be a CA plate?
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Great info,
    Does that include street legal licence plates from other states or does it need to be a CA plate?
    If you've got a street legal plate from your home state and an approved spark arrester/muffler, you are good to go.

About Nonresident OHV Use Permits

All vehicles operated off-highway on public lands in California are required to be (1) street-licensed or (2) registered as an off-highway vehicle (OHV). If you are visiting California from another state and your vehicle does not have a current registration from your home state, you must purchase a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit before you recreate on public lands. A title sticker or title plate is not registration.

green to street

Thanks Brian, That's basically what I wanted to hear.. I will have them pull off that cover ,If the sticker is there I'll go get it tomorrow.. if you wouldn't mind finding those codes that would really be helpful Thanks again I'm really looking forward to becoming a member of the club..
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donA View Post
    Could someone do me a huge favor? If your up to it and post or text me a pic of that emissions sticker so I could know what exactly I'm looking at THANK YOU ! 530 919 4043 Don
    I just found out some more info .Apparently The bike was street legal up till two years ago, Then they went green sticker and non opp for one year so so looks like I might just on the hook for a year back reg .. I think I'm going to go for it Thanks again ....As long as I have you reading this I wouldn't mind some feedback .The bike is an 02 with 550 miles on it garaged very clean for 2500 looks new thoughts? thanks
    Last edited by donA; 06-04-2016 at 07:50 PM.
    littletommy likes this.

Here you go Don,

First of all, I would suggest calling the DMV and telling them what you want to do and asking them what the process will be. The best case is that you will just have to bring the bike to DMV, have it verified by them, fill out an Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343) and hand over some money.

If that doesn't work, tell them that you would like to "Dual Register" the bike. Absolutely, positively, do not let them tell you that you have to take it to the CHP for an inspection! If they do, ask to talk to a supervisor and provide them with copies of the following instructions and completed Statements of Facts.

-This is a CA DMV link that describes Dual Registration:
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...k/ch15/ch15_15

-This is a CA DMV link that describes the requirements for Adding On-Highway Registration to to an OHV (Section 15.070)

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

-Here is an example of a Statement of Facts regarding the Brake and Inspection. Hopefully, you can get a local motorcycle dealer or shop to do this inspection for you:

CA DMV Statement of Facts - Brake & Lights.jpg

-Here is an example of a Statement of Facts regarding CHP Form 888.

CA DMV Statement of Facts - CHP Form 888.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links