Am going to get a Go Pro. Suggestions
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Am going to get a Go Pro. Suggestions

Am going to get a Go Pro. Suggestions

I have decided to get a GoPro however I am not sure exactly what I want or need and just some suggestions on model and mounts, helmet or fixed etc. Your takes on this matter will be quite appreciated. We are talking about this basically being for my TW but it might hop to another one on occasion. Also any thoughts on programming, editing, etc. Thanx.
    littletommy likes this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

I like the chest mount myself. Started with the top helmet mount but it would get caught on low branches and get tipped back, filming the sky instead of the trail. Also easier to turn on and off, checked battery life, etc. I use Windows Movie Maker because it came with the computer. Works OK, just slow.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Thanks scotti158. I do try to avoid those branches, but mostly I watch for deer and other big critters in my way as some of the local farmers don't like to pay much for fencing. How does the chest mount work as far as vibration, moving positions and just general quality.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    I have decided to get a GoPro however I am not sure exactly what I want or need and just some suggestions on model and mounts, helmet or fixed etc. Your takes on this matter will be quite appreciated. We are talking about this basically being for my TW but it might hop to another one on occasion. Also any thoughts on programming, editing, etc. Thanx.
    Get the Go Pro sessions model. It is usually only $199 and comes with enough mounts to get you on your way. It is waterproof without the need for any additional cases and has all of the most used bells and whistles. My son has one and he has abused it swimming, biking, playing hockey and snowboarding. Great camera at a fantastic price.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Get the Go Pro sessions model. It is usually only $199 and comes with enough mounts to get you on your way. It is waterproof without the need for any additional cases and has all of the most used bells and whistles. My son has one and he has abused it swimming, biking, playing hockey and snowboarding. Great camera at a fantastic price.

Tom
    Thanks. Will get on it. Just like to record things on occasion and sometimes riding the back roads with my trusty TW and 203/204 tires i can get some nice twisty riding action that people don't usually associate with the Mighty TW.

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Thanks scotti158. I do try to avoid those branches, but mostly I watch for deer and other big critters in my way as some of the local farmers don't like to pay much for fencing. How does the chest mount work as far as vibration, moving positions and just general quality.
    It definitely shows less "head turning" which is a plus sometimes. Overall I think it shoots a better video, just have to keep it high on the chest to avoid a video of nothing but the instrument cluster.
    Dryden-Tdub, Fred, dogonit and 1 others like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Funny how the forward facing helmet mounted cameras don't really catch all the antics of the twisty riding action of the rear tire. Must be because the head keeps looking in the intended direction of travel. Perhaps a chest mount would show the frantic counter-steering and valient rider input better. A recent muddy ride where I though the rear tire sliding 30 degrees or so side to side would yield very dramatic imagery...no such luck, my distress was undetectable in the resulting video. I didn't look heroic, just a little uncoordinated as I slithered down the chocolate moose trail.

The Go-Pro Sessions seems like a very good package deal if one can live with the classic boxy Go-Pro configuration. I can't. I have been spoiled by the smaller cylindrical styles of Ion and Contour bullet shapes that can tuck in under the visor, or semi-flush with the helmet with less turbulent flow noise at speeds. To me the tele-tubby look seems snagably dangerous and a bit dorky. Of course a chest mount solves these safety and image issues.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-06-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    dogonit and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Re: editing. Be ready to spend hours in front of your computer if you plan to edit long footage down to something watchable. If you look on YouTube, Vimeo or others, you'll see that the best videos are ones that are short, with many short, interesting clips, "spliced" together. This takes a lot of time. AND a powerful computer to keep up with processing those long sections of video so that your editing program can keep up. I use both Photoshop (CC version) and an older version of Power Director (Ver.12 I think). One of the best features of some video cameras (not sure if GoPro has it) is the "loop" mode. This means your camera records continuously but only "saves" to memory when you hit the tagging button. The amount saved is definable in menus. When you tag, it saves the last, say 3 minutes and the next 3 minutes, so you get a 6 minute clip of the best stuff and not all the boring stuff leading up to that. Harder to explain than use. This will cut down on some of that editing time. I use the Drift Innovation Stealth 2 which comes with this feature. It is also on $84 on Amazon. It also comes with a remote, that you can strap on your arm or your handlebars. Just hit the record button when you want to record, stop when you want to stop. The only drawback of the Stealth 2 is that it does not use an interchangeable battery. The Drift Innovation HD Ghost, however, does and it has a small screen, for framing & viewing as well. The Stealth 2, you use wifi and your phone to frame a shot, if it is not already mounted to your helmet.

Hope this helps. I've use the GoPro (first iteration, pure crap) and a VIO POV (nice, but camera head has a cord, to the video recorder unit, about the size of a TV remote control). The Stealth 2 is small, easy to use, takes good video but with the caveats above.

Here is a link to a video I edited and compiled from a fall colors ride last year. Turn down your speakers, the wind noise is bad. Another inherent vice of these things.

Beautiful video well edited Herr Munchmeister but the audio is indeed some of the noisiest I recall.
    Very helpfull info on other camera options and the handy remote.
    Since my laptop will not download clips longer than a few minutes I reach up and turn camera on and off for the short un-edited clips in all my videos. Sometimes the clips run a bit long until it seems safe enough to ride one-handed to turn the bugger off.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

[QUOTE=munchmeister;267601]Re: editing. Be ready to spend hours in front of your computer if you plan to edit long footage down to something watchable. If you look on YouTube, Vimeo or others, you'll see that the best videos are ones that are short, with many short, interesting clips, "spliced" together. This takes a lot of time. AND a powerful computer to keep up with processing those long sections of video so that your editing program can keep up. I use both Photoshop (CC version) and an older version of Power Director (Ver.12 I think). One of the best features of some video cameras (not sure if GoPro has it) is the "loop" mode. This means your camera records continuously but only "saves" to memory when you hit the tagging button. The amount saved is definable in menus. When you tag, it saves the last, say 3 minutes and the next 3 minutes, so you get a 6 minute clip of the best stuff and not all the boring stuff leading up to that. Harder to explain than use. This will cut down on some of that editing time. I use the Drift Innovation Stealth 2 which comes with this feature. It is also on $84 on Amazon. It also comes with a remote, that you can strap on your arm or your handlebars. Just hit the record button when you want to record, stop when you want to stop. The only drawback of the Stealth 2 is that it does not use an interchangeable battery. The Drift Innovation HD Ghost, however, does and it has a small screen, for framing & viewing as well. The Stealth 2, you use wifi and your phone to frame a shot, if it is not already mounted to your helmet.

Hope this helps. I've use the GoPro (first iteration, pure crap) and a VIO POV (nice, but camera head has a cord, to the video recorder unit, about the size of a TV remote control). The Stealth 2 is small, easy to use, takes good video but with the caveats above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links