KBB/NADA vs Real Life Prices for Teedubs
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: KBB/NADA vs Real Life Prices for Teedubs

KBB/NADA vs Real Life Prices for Teedubs

Hey all, I've finally thrown my current bike up for sale in hopes of snagging a TW to replace it with. Thing is, with my past few bikes (which I've bought off CL), they've been valued very similar to what KBB and/or NADA said they should be and I got them for less than those values. However, with the TW, it seems they either hold their value way better than anything else or they're just incredibly overpriced. I've been looking for the first gen models, because I realized that a kickstarter already equipped would be very nice but pre-2001 models are very rare in my area of the east coast. So, there are 2001+ models up fairly often, but they all seem to be going for roughly the same amount no matter the year: between $2500 and $3k. Now, am I nuts or is it realistic to be paying $2500 for a 10+ year old TW? Sure, there's extras, but with most bikes you don't take that into consideration with the cost unless they're throwing in a ton. So help me out guys, what kind of money should I be looking to throw down on a early-mid 2000s TW?

$2,500 isn't unreasonable for a nice clean TW at all.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    $2,500 isn't unreasonable for a nice clean TW at all.
    I guess I'm just used to cheaper bikes then lol. My current ZRX1100 cost me $2k and I'm seeing little dubs for more.

I mean, I'll pay what's fair and that's why I asked. Some TWs have KBBs of 1800 and they're listed for 2800. These sellers know what they're doing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

While TWs might seem relatively overpriced remember this is relative to other bikes that have larger production runs, don't have perhaps quite the cult following, and most importantly perhaps because more high strung bikes wear out more quickly spinning higher speeds in everything from piston travel to wheel bearings. With a plebeian output of only 14hp per 200cc compared to say a super bike with well over 100hp per 600cc one can predict which needs more maintenance per mile ridden. These darn TWs can last a long time.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Maybe that's why I'm having trouble finding an older TW, because I'm actually a fish. I was hoping to find a place I could actually fit in but apparently us aquatic animals aren't welcome here!

I've actually toyed with the idea of buying new/used from a dealer (I'm relatively young still and need to build credit) but don't want to go through all the hassle. Plus, all the older models have great color schemes. Frickin love the blue and purple look of some of the old ones.

The old ones had great colors..

Quote Originally Posted by Watevaman View Post
    Maybe that's why I'm having trouble finding an older TW, because I'm actually a fish. I was hoping to find a place I could actually fit in but apparently us aquatic animals aren't welcome here!

I've actually toyed with the idea of buying new/used from a dealer (I'm relatively young still and need to build credit) but don't want to go through all the hassle. Plus, all the older models have great color schemes. Frickin love the blue and purple look of some of the old ones.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watevaman View Post
    Don't worry Sir we take all types here!

I see them all over the place too price-wise. I went to look at a few that were junk, and a few that were nice. I finally got to the point that i was sick of driving and paying for gas, lol. I just said the next nice one I find, I am buying it. I got really lucky, i found a 2008 that the guy has listed for $2200, 1,400 miles on it, i asked him what he would take for it when i got there and he said $1600....sold! I would have honestly given him the 2200. But looking around our classified section now, with all the upgrades on mine it would easily sell around here in the low 3's, or the mid-low 2's if i put it back to stock.

Find a nice one and buy it.
    -13 TW200
    -08 DRZ400s
    -08 Roadstar warrior
    -15 Sherco ST 3.0
    -08 Aprilia Tuono
    -Missing my DR650 a little bit

With TW’s we base a bikes value on mileage and cosmetic condition

The theory being that if the bike has less than say 5k on the clock, the odds are that the mechanics should be OK – that just leaves the “pretty bits”.

Dents, scratches, hollow mods etc can all significantly drive the price down – but a low mile TW that looks like it’s been taken good care of, generally has been – you only have to look at the age of the tires, chain condition – all “consumables” – that’s about it

The “book” price on my car right now is 300 quid – what the “book” doesn’t know is that it’s still good for 60k more miles, hasn’t been visited by the “rust worm”, and is generally regarded to be bullet proof. Wouldn’t take less than 1500 quid right now, and would spend that much again on a direct replacement. All the “book” sees is that the car is 17 years old.

Same deal with the TW – mine is a ’98 – took it for an MOT test a few days ago (road worthiness test) – asked the guy what he thought – he said “Perfect – it’s only done 6000 miles”. Still a 17 year old bike, but the man saw straight past that – the “book” wouldn’t.

And since when did fish do what it says in some book ?
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

In 1987 when TW's came out; they cost 2,218.55 quid. They hold their value well. I paid 2,320 quid for mine 4+ years ago!!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links