!@#$ing dogs
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    After weeks and weeks of bad weather I decided that today was the day to start riding to work. Forecast high temps of 65 with a morning pre-launch temp of around 35. I was a little frozen by the time I got to work but the ride was enjoyable. The only problem I had was getting the shit scared out of me by two different car-chasing dogs. The first one was actually a pair of what looked like pit-bulls. They came into the road and were preparing to give chase but they didnt like the sound of the horn. The second "incident" involved a very fast and determined german shepard. This dog came out of nowhere and was on a collision course, luckily, there was no traffic and I was able to move over and avoid the dog. I probably wasnt as close to him as I thought I was, but it was something I wasnt prepared for. I spent several minutes after the second encounter dreaming about scabbards and shotguns, but then I cooled down.

Bear Spray or a 1 million volt stun baton work well.

Well, I guess you won't be as suprised the next time you ride by.

You haven't really asked for any advice, but...sometimes if you continue to ride the same route the dogs may get use to you riding by and stop running out after you (apparently your TW looks more like a cat than a mule ). If the dogs persist, maybe you could stop by and talk or call the owner of the dogs and splain the situation. If that is not practical (I'd be scared of pit bulls no matter what they say and wouldn't pull into the driveway), perhaps a can of pepper spray or similar homemade solution may help.

Having said that, give it more throttle, dogs can only keep up for a while!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Well, I guess you won't be as suprised the next time you ride by.

You haven't really asked for any advice, but...sometimes if you continue to ride the same route the dogs may get use to you riding by and stop running out after you (apparently your TW looks more like a cat than a mule ). If the dogs persist, maybe you could stop by and talk or call the owner of the dogs and splain the situation. If that is not practical (I'd be scared of pit bulls no matter what they say and wouldn't pull into the driveway), perhaps a can of pepper spray or similar homemade solution may help.

Having said that, give it more throttle, dogs can only keep up for a while!

Or time it next time and throw them a steak soaked in exlax and let the owner clean his carpets for the next few days.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Gentlemen,

Since the age of 5, I have never been without a dog. My Labrador "Jet" is sleeping at my feet as I type this. That said, I have zero patience or tolerance for aggressive dogs or the people who keep them. I use to run every day and having a vicious dog come charging out of someones front yard and bare his fangs while barking and growling takes the fun out of it. I finally started carrying a pocket sized pepper spray and the first time I used it the dog's owner was furious. I thought I might have to pepper spray him as well. What a joke.

Chip
    The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

I had an uncle who was often badgered on his wlk to work by a large dangerous dog. The owner would sit on a swing on his porch and laugh. Art told him, " tomorrow when I walk by I will have a gun with me. If the dog comes after me I will shoot it."

Next day the dog charged out as usual and Art waited until it was three feet away then shot it between the eyes with a .38. The owner said he was going to kill Art for that and got out of the swing chair and reached for the door. Art put a bullet in the door jamb beside his head causing the owner to freeze in fear.

Art said "You go ahead in side and get your gun. I will wait here for you."

The owner went inside and did not come back out. Art went to work. The sheriff came and got Art at work that day and took his gun and him in on a charge of attempted murder.

When the circuit judge came around it went to trial and the prosecutor read his charges and what he claimed had transpired.

The judge did not wait for the defense to even enter a plea. He just banged the Gavel down and said "Case dismissed, lack of evidence."

The prosecutor demanded to know why so the judge said, "I have known that man (pointing to my uncle) all my life. If he had attempted to kill some one that person would be dead. No dead body, lack of evidence, case dismissed."

Bear in mind this was in a rural Santa Fe railroad town in the 1920s. It would likely have had a different ending today.

Suffice to say the gun was returned to my uncle and he was never bothered on his way to or from work again.

Phelonius
    Phelonius

When I was much younger, on my Honda 160, I was surprised by a large German Sheppard. It ran next to me for a short distance nipping at my foot. I easily out ran it and when I got a safe distance down the street I made a U turn, found a fair sized stick, and I returned to the scene of the encounter. Sure enough he chased me again. I swung the stick, the dog ducked and I missed. I saw that. In frustration I threw the stick backwards as hard as I could. It was a blind throw but I did hear a loud yelp! I think I caught the dog in his open mouth. I made a second U turn and again I was heading in my intended direction. As I went by the house where the dog charged from I saw him sitting on the front porch and I could see him looking at me as I went by. He never chased me again.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

there's this bastard dog with a bastard owner a few roads from here where my g-pa lives. everytime I go there the son of a bitch goes right after you, and if you're going slow you'll get stuck with him in front of you trying to bite you. The only way to make it is to go about 30-35 mph and by the time he hears you/chases you'll be able to dodge him every time.

the owner is a bastard because he tried bitching at me about going so fast.. he's like we already lowered our speed here from 25 mph to 15 mph and people still race through..and he's worried I am going to hit his dog. Doesn't care about me or my bike though or how annoying it is getting stuck behind the bastard going slow obviously. I just left without letting him finish his BS.. altho I SHOULD of said hey retard, maybe if you trained your dog to not be a POS I would cruise through at the proper speed, it's safer for me to go at a faster speed so I avoid him altogether.

If he tries any more BS I'm definitely gonna let him have it, he cares so much about his dog but he won't train the damn thing to not chase everything that moves (It's not difficult...) I'd also like to state that he's a POS who completely faked an injury so he could get a disability payment for the rest of his life. A completely useless selfish POS person, who has a POS dog to match. I hate going there!
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

I have always used the method taught in the safety courses, gear down, slow down and gun just as the dog gets close. The dog is timing its arrival based on your speed, so you need to screw them up by slowing down, then speeding up. That's not always possible though. An angry pit bull bearing down on you can be unnerving, especially if you have a passenger. Kicking or swinging a stick or spraying bear spray may cause you to loose it. I wish we could just shoot the dog.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Do what I do. Slow the bike down, and let the dog actually think he can catch you. When he thinks you are actually obtainable, he will come oblivious to his other surroundings and you can lead him almost anywhere you want. After he becomes accustomed to this, a friend following close behind you, in another vehicle, can make quick work of him, after you swerve into the other lane.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links