Gearing different between 2000 and 2008 models?
Close

Is the internal gearing different between the 2000 and 2008 models?

I have a 2008 model, and my father has a 2000 model. We went trail ridding this last weekend, and his did much better on the steep trails, but mine much better on the highway and mpg. We traded bikes a couple of times to make sure it wasn't the rider. We initially thought that the sprockets may have changed between the years, but we counted both and they both appear to be a 14 tooth front and 50 tooth back. Was there a change on the internal parts, or is there something else that may account for this difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Force View Post
    Is the internal gearing different between the 2000 and 2008 models?

I have a 2008 model, and my father has a 2000 model. We went trail ridding this last weekend, and his did much better on the steep trails, but mine much better on the highway and mpg. We traded bikes a couple of times to make sure it wasn't the rider. We initially thought that the sprockets may have changed between the years, but we counted both and they both appear to be a 14 tooth front and 50 tooth back. Was there a change on the internal parts, or is there something else that may account for this difference?

Different carbs, different charging systems and different front brake. 'Bout it. I'd bet on the carbs.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Different carbs, different charging systems and different front brake. 'Bout it. I'd bet on the carbs.

Thanks for your reply.

By charging systems, I assume you mean alternator-battery configuration?

So the new carb is designed to give better gas mileage, but reduce the low end power?

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Without knowing this to be fact, i would guess the emission standards tightened up between 2000 and 2008. the 2008 probably is jetted leaner which would account for the better mileage and less torque. I opened the idle jet up on my 09 and it idles much better and seems to have a little better throttle response at low rpm's. plan is to go up 1 size on the main jet next.
    2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

1993 Shadow 1100 with Ural sidecar

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

Quote Originally Posted by Woofhound View Post
    Without knowing this to be fact, i would guess the emission standards tightened up between 2000 and 2008. the 2008 probably is jetted leaner which would account for the better mileage and less torque. I opened the idle jet up on my 09 and it idles much better and seems to have a little better throttle response at low rpm's. plan is to go up 1 size on the main jet next.

+1 Tdub is an '03 and a proper tune on the carb made a noticable improvement in low speed power and throttle response. Tdub still gets 70mpg around town, down about 3mpg from running with all the symptoms of too-lean.

Sponosred Links