need more juice
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: need more juice

need more juice

Just brought my new to me 03 with 550 miles, TW home today I have pretty steep property and was running it around ,I could use a little more power .Full Disclosure I didn't search very hard, But are there any mod's that can add a little more to it? re jet, exhaust, different air filter etc thanks..
    littletommy and akalogan like this.

Spot, 'effing on jetting.
    Appropriate gearing for where you ride.
    Avoid adding weight.
    Turbocharger.
    If you want to go faster off road, better suspension.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Things around Ol'Hangtown can get pretty steep for a stock bike. Gearing down seems to be one easy option. Minor gains ( and losses) can be had by some with carb work but no real gobs of extra power are hiding anywhere. Same for exhaust. Make sure bike's basic tune is OK.
    akalogan likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum and I hope you like the TW.

Let's say it has stock 14/50 sprockets. If you went with a 14/55 setup you'd have more oompf for the hills but loose a little speed at the top end for highway. You can still go 55 or 60 mph but the rpm's would be higher. I have ridden with the gearing and don't mind it as most of my riding is not on pavement. For me changing the rear sprocket is easier than the front. Remove tire, change sprocket. In the front you have to remove the side cover to gain access to the front sprocket with the only real problem is the side cover gasket. You may have to replace it. If it wasn't for the side cover gasket I would do the front. Oh, and you have to watch out so you don't pinch the wires when putting the side cover back on. Bad things happen when you pinch the wires, like not starting and such. Pleasant riding.
    Last edited by admiral; 06-11-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by donA View Post
    Just brought my new to me 03 with 550 miles, TW home today I have pretty steep property and was running it around ,I could use a little more power .Full Disclosure I didn't search very hard, But are there any mod's that can add a little more to it? re jet, exhaust, different air filter etc thanks..
    Clean the air filter. Wear earplugs. Don't baby it!
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

196 CCs and it is hard to get them all out. Carb works has a tendency to be beneficial for those who ride high altitudes but does little for most. I know you can re jet and shim the needle but these changes don't really do all that much. Different pipes don't seem to do much either and I never heard anyone who has changed rave much about them. Changing the rear sprocket as Admiral states is about the best all around upgrade but it comes with the loss of top end speed if that matters to you. Some here have changed pistons and bored the jugs while others have transplanted 225 motors that required a lot of fancy machining but in the end they still have a TW and I highly doubt the end result is equal to the time, effort and expense. I am really not the one to be talking here because I like the TW just the way it is as long as it is running right. If I wanted more power I would have bought a different bike. My XT225 did have a little more zip and a sixth gear and was a little lighter with better suspension but I still preferred the TW of the pavement.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    196 CCs and it is hard to get them all out. Carb works has a tendency to be beneficial for those who ride high altitudes but does little for most. I know you can re jet and shim the needle but these changes don't really do all that much. Different pipes don't seem to do much either and I never heard anyone who has changed rave much about them. Changing the rear sprocket as Admiral states is about the best all around upgrade but it comes with the loss of top end speed if that matters to you. Some here have changed pistons and bored the jugs while others have transplanted 225 motors that required a lot of fancy machining but in the end they still have a TW and I highly doubt the end result is equal to the time, effort and expense. I am really not the one to be talking here because I like the TW just the way it is as long as it is running right. If I wanted more power I would have bought a different bike. My XT225 did have a little more zip and a sixth gear and was a little lighter with better suspension but I still preferred the TW of the pavement.

GaryL
    Thanks Guy's, Yeah I'm goina leave as it is .I bought it for camping ,,checking out forest service roads etc it is what it is ,Trying t make it something it isn't is cost effective .I'm
    big into kLR's besides a bigger piston, custom head work, bigger valves, etc is the only way to get a little more horsepower, For a stock bike We re jet, KLX needle ,open up the air box ,Uni Filter ,Slip on pipe , Re gear depending on street of dirt use , Some guys advance the timing one tooth, Seat of the pant's dino seems to give it some extra grunt .smoother throttle response. Could be all in my head .. I was just a little disappointed I'm so use to my DRZ tearing up my property .to jump on the TW was a little underwhelming.. now please don't think I'm trying to compare the two bikes ...it's just when you can wheelie up hill in second gear and you cant even get up these hills in second on the TW.. Again The bikes are what they are please din't think i'm complaining I'm happy to have one and be apart of this forum..:]

If you still have the stock chain on the bike make sure you oil it.

The original chains are a little weak compared to the aftermarket ones and if you don't oil them they are junk at around the thousand mile mark, along with your sprockets. (All right, maybe the sprockets might be OK.)

Personally, I like to clean the chain with kerosene and soak in 140 wt gear oil. I have had good results doing that every 300 to 400 miles.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Attachment 31335

Pour some of this in the gas tank. It's good for a few horsepower at least.
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Add some flame stickers - a couple of those should add .5 HP .

+1 for a gear change - chea... Er inexpensive and fairly easy to do the rear. 13 HP isn't much to write home about (unless you're sending a letter to let them know how long it's going to take you to get there ) A gear change could put what power the Tdub has where you need it.
    admiral and littletommy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links