NorCal'rs: Route 101 between Ukiah and Cooks Valley - TW-safe?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: NorCal'rs: Route 101 between Ukiah and Cooks Valley - TW-safe?

NorCal'rs: Route 101 between Ukiah and Cooks Valley - TW-safe?

Howdy all!

Invited to a "family" camp out next month at Richardson Grove State Park. I've done SF to Ukiah via 101 on the TW, and it was actually pretty pleasant. But I have zero familiarity with 101 any further than that. Does it stay multi-lane and flattish? I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into the type of road like 29 on the way to Joemama's...

Thanks in advance!
    2018 CB500XA - Rally Raid: Level 2 Suspension/Wheels, Engine guard / bash plate, Pannier racks, Wide pegs, Rear brake reservoir guard, ABS switch, Radiator screen, kickstand shoe. Barkbuster/Storm. Palmer windshield adjuster w/ accessory bar. Savage steering damper, levers, and rear rack. Givi Trekker Outback 42L Top Case and Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags. 50W 3" spot/flood pods. Scorpion Serket Taper slip-on.

Just past ukiah, it stays the type of freeway you are on pretty much, then it starts to climb uphill a bit towards Willits. You will most likely drop to 45-40mph, until you reach the summit. Then it's a long straight drop into Willits. 101 proceeds through Willits, and then becomes a mix of easy highway & light twistys through the redwoods. IF you were ok with 101 to Ukiah I think you will be fine. PM me for any detailed Q&A m.

This is exactly the type of information I wanted - thank you! Looking at some Google Earth, it looks like there is a bit of two lane here and there that I'll have to deal with. Makes me nervous. What I liked about going to Ukiah was that there was always a way for people to go around me, and that I didn't have to worry about finding a place to pull over, let people pass, and then get going again. Hrm.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

EWB
    done that drive plenty hauling a travel trailer. Trailing cars are pretty patient and wait for you to hit a turn out and are thankful for you letting letting them pass. Richardson grove would be awesome on a TW.

Lots of turn outs, & wide shoulder areas to allow for passing. And the further north you get, the more the traffic slows, you may find yourself in a line of slow traffic. From Ukiah north on a TW, I'd do it with little worries. m.
    bananachunks and littletommy like this.

Well, I lucked out and was able to swing a ride up and back. I made sure to take note of the last half of the drive, and there were definitely several places that I would NOT have been pleased to be on the TW. I think I broke something in my head at Moab that turned me into a wimp.
    TWilight likes this.

Gee Bananachunks, though you did just fine in Moab. Fer instance here where you didn't like the steep drop-off you simply exited stage right at the 50 second mark and found your own way down a more shallow shoulder on the left margin of video. Good job, would rather do that than have traffic crawling up my tailpipe on the 101.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-21-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    littletommy and bananachunks like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Gee Bananachunks, though you did just fine in Moab. Fer instance here where you didn't like the steep drop-off you simply exited stage right at the 50 second mark and found your own way down a more shallow shoulder on the left margin of video. Good job, would rather do that than have traffic crawling up my tailpipe on the 101.
    I was very grateful for TWilight pointing out that alternate route for me. It was the next day where I had to hand off my TW 4 or 5 times that got to me. And then a week or two later at the local motorcycle park I had a few instances of panic. As I said before, I think I broke something internally while at Moab.

Well George we just need to get together and ride more confidence building stuff. Had you not already had prior plans you would have likely excelled on last Sierra group ride as long as you didn't mind a deep creek or two. Just 115 miles of moderate cruising with the gang.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Well George we just need to get together and ride more confidence building stuff. Had you not already had prior plans you would have likely excelled on last Sierra group ride as long as you didn't mind a deep creek or two. Just 115 miles of moderate cruising with the gang.
    Amen Brother! One should be baptized on occasion to keep his skills pure! m.
    bananachunks and joeband like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links