10 year old tires with 1500 miles on them
Close

View Poll Results: Would you replace low mileage 10 year old tires?

Voters
87. This poll is closed
  • NOPE, just ride it

43 49.43%
  • Yes, 10 years is a long time

44 50.57%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: 10 year old tires with 1500 miles on them

10 year old tires with 1500 miles on them

I'm picking up my first TW this weekend from a fellow forum member and wanted the communities thoughts on the tires.

The bike has 1500 miles on it and was always garaged. The tires are still factory original. I've decided to replace the front tire with a Pirelli MT43 but haven't decided what to do with the rear tire yet.

What would you do? Is it worth the $200 for peace of mind?

I would replace it. Even if it doesn't look terrible, that 10-year old rubber is hard and dry-rotted, making it a hazard on the road. My tires are only 4 years old and are already beginning to show signs of dry rot around the base of the knobbies. Just my opinion though, I'm sure others will pipe in soon
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

You'll get mixed answers on this. If it were me I think I could judge the condition of the tire and rubber but I've been around this stuff a long time. If I looked close and the rubber was still pliant, lacked any cracking and any other things that would indicate a problem I would run it. I have jeep tires that old that are like new and some I wouldn't run on a wheelbarrow. It depends on the quality of the rubber or synthetic rubber used when they made that specific tire. If your not comfortable judging the tire replace it. It's not that much money for peace of mind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I try pushing into the tire with my fingernail. If it leaves a mark or indent; it may not be too hardened yet. If not; I would replace it. I have a standard rule though; replace tires when needed or for sure at the 10 year mark.
    grewen, akalogan and jtstdub like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Absolutely...100 %...replace both tires. Put a new Bridgestone TW34 on the rear..and put a Shinko 241 Trials tire on the front.....NOT that Pirelli.
    Small Hi-jack. Sorry. Twilight, can you expand on you opinion of the MT34 please. I run the 241 and love it but I'm intrigued with the Pirelli.
    akalogan likes this.

That pole is to broad. You can't say just run it without addressing condition or just replace with an arbitrary number, why not 8 years, why not 12 years.

I'm interested in this as well... the Pirelli received stellar reviews from other forum members.

Hmm, I'm gonna take a second look at my back tire and see how it looks. Mines an original 01 with 6k on it I think... Just passed inspection. Just ordered a 241 for the front on the specters suggestion. Still debating whether I should have gone Pirelli and if I should get a new read, choice is between the stocker and the more street able tw34...
    littletommy likes this.

I have taken 10+ year old tires and used them. My experience is the "bad" rubber is on the surface and once that wears away they are good as new -- but then I am cheap too.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I have taken 10+ year old tires and used them. My experience is the "bad" rubber is on the surface and once that wears away they are good as new -- but then I am cheap too.
    I agree with this, except in my opinion they are not exactly like "new"; but usable to a point.
    I don't agree with your "I am cheap" part Tony. You are not "cheap", you are "frugal"! (just like me)

If I used a tire like this, I would have checked for cracking, weathering, checking and ANY other thing I could find wrong before even considering it. I also would only use a tire like that off road; not on the street or high speed of any kind. And remember; the tube is 10 years old too...
    akalogan and elime like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links