Analysis Paralysis - and the true cost of owning a TW.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Analysis Paralysis - and the true cost of owning a TW.

Analysis Paralysis - and the true cost of owning a TW.

If you look at my profile you'll see that I joined this forum just over 5 years ago. Yet I don't own a TW yet. I keep talking myself out of it. Back in 2011, I researched and researched and ultimately decided that it wasn't even ready for a 200cc bike and choose to cut my teeth on owning a scooter instead. I bought a Honda Ruckus and had a great time riding around my neighborhood and foothills around my house. I owned the Ruckus for 2 years before selling it a couple of weeks ago with the intent of upgrading to a TW. I'm convinced that the bike would be perfect for exploring the mountains and canyons around me here in Northern Utah.

The thing is, after reading post after post on this forum trying to learn the do's and dont's of owning a TW, I quickly start feeling overwhelmed with the idea of maintenance. Oil changes, stock tire issues, chain wear/maintenance, carb tuning and upgrades and farkles it all starts to sound like a lot of *WORK!* Add to that the constant vigilance of staying safe, I can't help but think maybe I should just admire from afar by lurking on the forum.

Can anyone confirm that I'm overthinking this and that owning a TW isn't as much of a hassle as it might sound? Or should I plan on devoting large percentage of time (and maybe $) in just working on the bike vs just riding the bike?

What would you guess the ratio for riding/maintaining is? 80/20 like many things or does it trend to 50/50 like some of the forum posts seem to suggest?

99% ride the bike; 1% work on the bike.

Just get one. But get a good one; not a junker.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I can understand where your coming from even though I did the whole process in about ten days. I saw a TW and then found this forum. From there it was to the yamaha dealer with a deposit. Now I did have lots of the same apprehensions you have but I just did it and I am glad. I am enjoying the bike tremendously. No regrets.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

On a forum we just talk stuff to death. Its part of the passion we feel for whatever it is we are riding. You will find the same thing on a Ruckus forum.
    I don't think a TW takes any more effort than a Ruckus, but like all things motorcycle, bigger means more potential for injury. (It is hard to think of a TW as bigger) As it comes from the factory it is a solid ride for what you describe.
    Last edited by sponge; 06-16-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I guess there is a clutch, that is an addition
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Buy a new one or at least one with low Milage. You can always take it to the shop for oil changes. Just get the damn thing.

If you get a good one there is really very little to do. What you see mostly posted is from people who ride hard, ride a real lot and LOVE to tinker and experiment. If you just want to cruise the trails and secondary roads there is very little maintenance. Get an X-ring chain and there is next to none.

Quote Originally Posted by geosport View Post
    ...Can anyone confirm that I'm overthinking this and that owning a TW isn't as much of a hassle as it might sound? .....
    Yes to both. Owning a TW is about as much work as owning a lawnmower. OK, a little more.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Postings on forums are a bit like online reviews. Problems get a lot of press, but nobody feels compelled to go and post something up every time that something is going right.

"Well, I went to start my TW today and it cranked right up. Ran fine, rode it to work and back without event." - That's not much of a post now is it? Still, it's more reflective of the day to day experience of owning a TW than all of the "Help!" posts in the tech forum.

You're right that the TW is probably going to require a bit more time and attention than your Ruckus, but you'll also be gaining quite a bit of capability. A lot of that is also a matter of money, a newer TW in good condition is going to cost more than some old beater but it will also require less time for maintenance. Of course, you also do have the tech forum here, where many knowledgeable people will respond to your "Help!" posts. There is nothing wrong with "Help!" posts at all, I have posted a fair number myself!

You might also consider one of the newer fuel-injected XT250s. That removes all of the concerns about carburetors. Carbs are great for people who like to tinker, but they're not so great at mixing air and fuel together compared to FI.

I think the time I spent riding:wrenching on my TW was probably about 95:5. That includes regular stuff like checking tire pressure and lubing the chain.

As far as constant vigilance for staying safe, if you weren't doing that on your ruckus too then you're damn lucky to be alive. Scooters are every bit as dangerous as motorcycles. Staying safe on 2 wheels requires good gear, good technique, and hyper-awareness no matter what you ride.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

You will spend WAY more time doing laundry VS wearing clothes ! ! !
    Buy the TW and enjoy life,
    There are no do-overs ! ! !
    Very little time if you leave stock,
    Very little time if you make mods!
    Don't worry about the front tire, Millions ride them without issues,
    In fact, For regular exploring and poking about, The front tire is stunning,
    In life there are few things which reward you with mostly pleasure,
    A good dog,
    A TW200
    and,
    Well,
    A good dog,
    and a good TW200.

Get a 241 anyway if your going to trail ride. No need on road but I think between the chain and the 241 and possibly a seat concepts seat you will enjoy the bike enough that it will be 99.9% fun, comfortable and safe.

thats my vote on all you should worry about doing to really enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    You will spend WAY more time doing laundry VS wearing clothes ! ! !
    Buy the TW and enjoy life,
    There are no do-overs ! ! !
    Very little time if you leave stock,
    Very little time if you make mods!
    Don't worry about the front tire, Millions ride them without issues,
    In fact, For regular exploring and poking about, The front tire is stunning,
    In life there are few things which reward you with mostly pleasure,
    A good dog,
    A TW200
    and,
    Well,
    A good dog,
    and a good TW200.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links