Pinlock Visor advice?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Pinlock Visor advice?

Pinlock Visor advice?

I have a Pinlock visor that has little scratches from everyday wear and tear. I keep looking online and have asked at the dealer about a replacement visor hoping to find someone that has a decent price but it seems everyone is around $89.00 which just irks me.

I could probably just about buy a new helmet for that price but I love my Schuberth and I need a Pinlock visor.

So, I am thinking since all the little scratches on the visor have really been annoying me lately I may as well take a stab at removing them with some Novus the I already have. If it doesn't work, I already needed a new visor so it's not like I am destroying a good visor.

Have any of you tried this route?

Other products or techniques you might suggest would be appreciated also.
    Currently enjoying a great mix...
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

I've never tried the Novus; but Plexus works ok for the little stuff...
    Ken, Smitty Blackstone and elime like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Yes, Plexus is nice but a couple years ago I bought a kit of Novus 1, 2 & 3 to try and get some scratches out of my Triumph's windscreen. I have always been afraid to try it on my Pinlock because I believe there is a special coating. In fact, I just took the two visor pieces apart and it looks to me like my problem is the inside visor, the coating appears to have little bubbles and it just isn't crystal clear. I went ahead and used Novus # 1 on both sides of both visors and put it all back together. If that inside visor is my problem, I may just remove it and carry on Pinlockless.....until I get irritated with fogging while riding to work every morning....then I'll reluctantly spring for a new Pinlock visor.
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You should be able to just replace the pinlock insert (inner visor) if the shield itself is in good shape. Cheaper than buying the whole shebang.

Not sure which model Schuberth you have but here's an example:

Schuberth C3 Pro / C3 / C3W / S2 / E1 Pinlock Lens Insert - RevZilla
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I've used the Novus kit to remove scratches from the outside of my visor. Did the trick but it was very time consuming and don't get in a hurry. Took most of the scratches out but they were noticeable if the light was just right.
    TWilight, littletommy and dette like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    You should be able to just replace the pinlock insert (inner visor) if the shield itself is in good shape. Cheaper than buying the whole shebang.

Not sure which model Schuberth you have but here's an example:

Schuberth C3 Pro / C3 / C3W / S2 / E1 Pinlock Lens Insert - RevZilla
    I had seen that I could purchase just that lens but I was afraid there would still be enough little scratches in the outside visor to still annoy me.
    I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Novus #1 helped. I might just try the Novus #2 when I get some time.
    This morning I had to ride in rain for about 50 minutes and I had foggy condensation at the bottom of my Pinlock lens....not the first time that's happened. I had to keep opening my visor to let it clear but then I end up with water droplets on the inside of my visor. I also noticed if I tilt my head down it feels like I am getting sprinkles on my face. I am wondering if it's the air pushing water through my little vent on my chin bar. It only happens when I tilt my head forward. A couple of years ago I went round with a Schuberth rep. because I was getting rain on my face with my visor closed. All we figured out was that possibly the visor seal was getting a ....not certain of word to use.... maybe kink or pinch when I open and close it and not making a proper seal. I really didn't care for his answer because he said just make certain when you close it that the seal is sealed all the way around. Well, I took issue with his advice and asked how he proposed I do that when I am opening the visor to get a little air at stops or low speeds then clicking it down when I get up to speed. I mean really, how can I check the seal. I told him I paid a lot of money for my Schuberth and the engineers should be aware that I am not inspecting the seal while riding down the highway. Still, I love my Schuberth; maybe I'm just expecting too much .....

P.S. - Twighlight, we Whidbey Islander's are one step ahead of you....
    Last edited by dette; 06-18-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    The Novus will work, using the fine grit polish unless the scratch is deep enough your fingernail can catch on it. Finish up using Plexus. Plexus is a filler of sorts, but wears off relatively quick. I used it on the windshield of the helicopters I flew in. Nothing worse than spider scratches on a curved shield!

I think the Plexus also is anti static. Doesn't attract dust anyways.
    The bear slayer!

Plexus works for me but it isn't cheap either.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Plexus works for me but it isn't cheap either.
    Yeah, about 20 bucks for a little can, but it goes a long way.
    elime and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Is this lens coated for fog or abrasion resistance?

Is it polycarbonate or acrylic?

Makes a huge difference.

Acrylic can be polished out. PC not so well. PC is much softer.

All coatings will be destroyed by polishing.

I recommend buy new.

I'm in the plastics business and we mold it, CNC it, fab it and have for over 3 decades. It's wonderful and also a hassle to work with.
    T-Dub Ken

Current bikes:

Yamaha TW200 2013
    Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2015
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone 2015

Lives in St. Joseph, IL
    Friend of God
    Leader of Men
    Lover of all
    Pretty good motorcycle rider
    Doesn't brag too much
    Smiles and laughs a lot