Doubled-up seat pads
Close

Anyone here double-up on your Stearns seat pads? I currently have one on my bike, and it's fine with how I ride (never ride for more than an hour at a time), but I plan to do some longer rides this summer as I would like to do more camping. Anyhow, even though my butt likes the pad, I wonder if 200 to 300 miles on one pad would be a problem. The local WalMart had the Stearns pads on the clearance rack for $15 (not too much of a clearance price) since nobody in my area rides ATVs or anything, so I picked up another one in case I wear mine out. I was thinking about it, and thought adding a second one wouldn't hurt. I just wonder if the second one would slide much on the first one. Anyone here ride with two of them?

Thanks,

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Just sew them together in a few spots so you can get them apart later if ya don't like it. Let us all know if you do it and how you like it.

I have a atv pad

Baby powder and some padded bike shorts get me a extra couple of hours in the saddle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Alaska sheep skin is good.

XDAC use a couch cushion for his seat

Doubling the pad is not likely to help as much as leveling the seat so that you can move back and forth once in awhile to change pressure points without sliding back immediately. The real advantage of the Stearns pads and the sheep skins are that they allow air circulation and variable pressure points. So too do the Korean wooden bead seats that NY taxi drivers use (and some cyclists). I have cut some segments of a thin camping pad which are shorter than my Yamaha seat and stuff them in the lowest front part of the seat horn (they level the seat, allow me to change the height by moving them back when desired and they make a seat cushion for that rock that I'll sit on when I eat my lunch. Free is cheaper than $15 on clearance. I suspect the bike pants also work by increasing circulation, air as well as blood, and by wicking moisture away that is probably the culprit in causing irritation. Ride on. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I have bicycled a couple of double centuries (200 miles) in a day. Corn Starch is better than Baby powder. You want to absorb moisture (really you do). I have been told that the crystalline structure of Corn Starch is not as 'sharp' as Talc (Baby powder). So in the event you don't make it, your Butt has already been basted and ready to eat...

Truly, Corn Starch is cheaper, absorbs moisture and will irritate less. This is all a plus if you plan to ride 300 miles and still have a smile on your face for tomorrows 300 mile ride. Perhaps I should include, as long as you shower or 'scrub-up' before bed.
    Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

What about anti monkey butt powder?
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Don't get me wrong. You can use what ever you want. My 'can' of Monkey Butt says "talc". I use it after a shower and before work when I want to feel "fresh". I would not use it for a trip that involved multiple days of 'hard/long' saddle time. Just my opinion. Would you rub down your 66 Shelby with valve lapping compound? Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Sponosred Links