2006 TW200...What carburetor options?
Close

It doesn't take me long before I get the bug to make something run better. My TW is a Calif model and the carburetor seems to surge at light throttle and low RPM. I adjusted the valves today (1950 miles) and while I had the tank off, I went for the carb. I took the black top off of the CV carb and pulled the diaphragm out to see if I could raise the needle a notch. No such luck. I made up a .015" shim to raise the needle. Man...It woke that little engine up! Still has the low speed lope, feels almost lean? Probably the CV carb,

Does anyone have a suggestion on an older style but new slide type carb or remedies for the existing one? I thought about shortening the existing slide spring so the slide raises earlier. MIKUNI for the TW???

have you rejetted? adjusted the pilot screw? drilled out the vacuum port in the slide?

No, have not re-jetted. I don't know if the Commiefornia carburetor has removable main jets or pressed in. The carburetor and main is different than the 49 state carb according to the parts fiche online.

I will have to check the low speed air screw. So where do you drill out the vacuum port on the slide? What size drill? I saw a small brass, pressed in orifice at the top of the carb when I removed the black top cap. I DO have some pin drills. Used them alot on old VWs and Porsches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
    No, have not re-jetted. I don't know if the Commiefornia carburetor has removable main jets or pressed in. The carburetor and main is different than the 49 state carb according to the parts fiche online.

I will have to check the low speed air screw. So where do you drill out the vacuum port on the slide? What size drill? I saw a small brass, pressed in orifice at the top of the carb when I removed the black top cap. I DO have some pin drills. Used them alot on old VWs and Porsches.

The only difference between your carb and the 49-state carb is the vent port for the canister and a RICHER jet.

If you're loping and/or surging you've got other issues..

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Check the stickied carb tuning thread in technical, and do one thing at a time. I'd just about guarantee the idle mixture screw is set way lean.

Thanks guys. I'll check the idle mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll check the idle mixture.

Pulled the carburetor off today and removed the block off plug for the low speed mixture screw. I opened it up about 3/4 turn and got rid of the low speed lean surge. I also put a .020 spacer under the slide needle. Runs good now.

Sponosred Links