Looking to buy my first TW
Close

I found an '87 on craigslist. The owner was asking 1500, he told me he'd take 1300... the motor was rebuilt and transmission bearings were done. It has renthal bars and a new battery. 8000 miles, and the plastics look to be in really good condition, especially for the year.

Is 1300 a good price even given the year? I'm DYING to get myself on a TW!!

I would keep looking. Wonder why the engine had to be rebuilt and transmission bearings? The engines are almost bullet proof. You can find a low mileage one for $1500.

Keep looking. Way too much for an '87.

I wouldn't pop for an '87 unless it was cheap enough to offset the cost of a later model parts bike to update the charging, lighting and CDI.

If you still think it's a good deal I'd suggest you test ride it continuously for at least an hour, let it sit, then ride it again. A lot of '87's are being sold due to intermittent CDI units, which are no longer available. Only an extended test ride will bring out this issue in some cases.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I appreciate it! I'll wait and look for a newer/better deal.

Thanks guys!

I paid $850 for a 1998 that was in great shape. I agree with the others, keep looking.

Also 1987's are a TW unto themself, with some hard to find parts (mainly electrical) specific to the 1987 model.
    Custom 1998 TW200 Build Thread Hidden Content | 2003 TW200 | 2009 KLX351

Sponosred Links