Anyone have second thoughts about a TW
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Yeah I'm still looking, going to get my endorsement next week.

Still looking at the xt250 or maybe a Kawasaki 250, but I really like the TW too!

I have never really needed more power. I have mine geared down low enough that it pushes me along just fine. I feel that the xt250's suspension is too soft. Haven't tried the Kawasaki. The TW is perfect because its stable, low, and forgiving. Its more of a point and shoot kind of bike. Oh, and having a TW is a great conversation starter too. Now if I wanted more CCs I'd get a Yamaha WR250R.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Never a second thought about getting a TW. However, if you're talking about riding mostly street, or on busier highways, etc., those other two are certainly worth investigating. Do as much research as you can. Ask questions here and see if you can find some XT/Kawi owners and see what they say.

From my experience with 250s in general, I'd say they are probably good for maintaining 70-75 mph, whereas the TW is good for 65 mph (in the real world).

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A few more cc's and a six speed transmission would be nice but not necessary. I am content with it the way it is. I just take my time and I get there eventually be it asphalt or dirt.

Also it is so easy to ride I have let people that have never ridden a motorcycle ride mine. It has been dropped several time and the only broken part was the front brake lever. Best is letting my nieces ride it -- they all love it and I hope will become motorcycle riders someday.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Depends on what you are buying it for. If you want a dual sport that screams down the slab, then the TW is not your bike. There have been past TW owners that have moved to bigger bikes as they wanted more options for slab travel. Some TW owners moved on as they outgrew their TW - having used it to learn. And others are simply satisfied with the bike as it meets their needs in the past and now. You need to decide where you fit it with the TW, maybe it's not the choice for you. I see the TW as a putt-putt, slow and steady, get me there, mule. Not a screamer. Sure some members ride it hard, but it's not really designed for trashing at the moto cross track. Owning a range of bikes that includes several CT hondas and getting to know CT owners and TW owners - I see a lot in common. No one is in a hurry to get somewhere - it's about enjoying the journey, not the destination. Good luck. We won't sneer at you on the trail if you buy a Kawie or and XT, it's about riding, not what you ride.

Cheers.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

I don't second guess buying my TW, but I second guess selling my 500cc cruiser. There are times where I just need a little more engine, especially after this past weekend riding uphill in a headwind and I could barely keep my little TW at 50mph. Still though, the TW is a great bike, and even after I replace my long gone cruiser, I'm keeping the TW.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    I don't second guess buying my TW, but I second guess selling my 500cc cruiser.
    Good point Dan, it's easy for me to say one thing about the TW knowing I have a 1500cc cruiser parked next to it.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

More power would certainly be nice, I'm really interested in how the camshaft upgrade works out. Come on Canada Post!

I did my research on bikes and I went in to buy a T Dub knowing why I bought it.

The salesman told me I wasn't approved for the T DUB ($3500), but that I was approved for a $6500 WR 250. I walked out and bought my T DUB down the street and have been happy with it ever since. I have a car/truck for the longer commutes.

Plus, it is much more an eye-candy in the motorcycle world. They are rare enough that you leave most wondering "What the hell is that" and it is a fun conversation starter.

Yamaha made this bike to be fun, fun, fun and oh yeah...simple.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Gentlemen,

I own 5 dirt bikes and I ride the TW more than any of the others. The TW is a trail bike. A two wheel version of the Jeep CJ-5. It will take you anywhere at a measured pace. My Honda water cooled CRF250X is like a Baja 1000 race buggy that is awkward unless its hauling ass with it's suspension that is designed to soak up big hits at high speed. The TW and CJ-5 will never cover distance at the velocity of competition oriented mounts, but they will get you into places and areas where the desert race bikes and buggys won't go. A different type of riding. At my age, slower is getting a lot more appealing and the TW evokes the type of trail riding I did in my youth.

That's my take on it.

Chip
    The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links