Another newbie
Close

Thread: Another newbie

I just recently bought my 95 TW200 from a co-worker that is over 6' tall and had an XT225 and TW200 sitting in his garage next to his HD Road King. Since his wife won't ride the TW and his father doesn't come to ride anymore either...and he can't really fit onto the TW...it was given a new home (mine) after I sold my XR400R (he wouldn't trade lol).

I've owned a LOT of different bikes (dirtbikes, mini-bikes, streetbikes, etc.--I could try to list them if anyone cared) and right now the TW200, with a few modifications, is about perfect for what I need in a daily commuter/light trail bike right now. It is currently replacing my 1200 Goldwing as my daily rider, as my Goldwing is probably going to get some refurbishing done to it. That, and the trails are calling me for lunchtime rides. :-D I have a stretch of 55 mph road with a big hill to conquer on the way to work, so going to try out a 44T sprocket to see if it's do-able for me. I'm around 170 lbs and even at the elevation I'm at, the TW200 seems to pull pretty well. I know the hill might give me more trouble with the 44T sprocket, but I've done similar swaps on other small bikes (had an XT125, among others) before and it worked well enough for my tastes.

I had to laugh after I re-arranged my backyard--well actually my back "carport" and shed--to fit the TW200. I have my dad's '71 RT1 that I pulled completely apart and rebuilt in white frame with blue tank/fenders/etc., a 2002 Yamaha Blaster (tempting to pull the shock off and put it on the TW ha ha), my boy's 2001 TTR90E still on training wheels, a 72 DT250, plus a 78 Honda XR350 "parts bike." My Goldwing won't fit in the back carport now, but it usually sits in the driveway anyway.

Other than longing for more power (who doesn't?) it seriously reminds me of my street-legal TT500 I used to blast around these parts. Goofy color scheme aside, I'm really stoked to have the lil TW!

Glad to see this forum is alive and kicking.

D

UPDATE:

Last night I popped out the brass plug over the pilot screw as well as installed the JT 44T rear sprocket. Took out 4 links on the chain and kept the piece/cleaned it up to use when I switch back to the 50 for family offroad weekends (yes, with an extra masterlink).

First impressions with the 44T/pilot adjustment after test ride last night and then the ride to work this AM--I like it pretty well! I can now cruise along at 65 mph in the 55 zone, which ALMOST lets me keep up with traffic...ha ha ha. At the big hill, I downshifted to 4th and it pulled the entire hill at 55 (which older Honda Civics seem to not be able to do), and it wouldn't do that in 5th with the stock sprocket. It would hold at 50 mph all the way up with the stock 50T, but 55 just wasn't there. Now that I also don't just have to hold at WOT the mid-range stumble is a little more obvious so I'm thinking...shim the needle. I haven't re-jetted for elevation and since I sit at between 7000 and 8000 feet I should probably drop down to a 112 to start. :-S Probably before I even try shimming. Most likely will still need to shim though, I'm guessing.

Almost forgot to mention that when I popped out the brass plug, the pilot was only turned out from the factory about...between 1/4 to not quite 1/2 a turn! I tried 2 1/2 turns out and it was a little finicky to start, so turned back in to 1 3/4 turns and it starts as easily as it did before...one kick. Also no more popping through the carb with throttle chop. :-)

Now that I can cruise at 65 I think the front wheel might need a balance. It feels a little "hoppy" but maybe it's just the stock crappy tread design. :-S

Thanks so far for the input guys! And even though the search function can be "interesting," this forum has been a big help so far.

D

You sound like a person with technical skill...lucky you!.Have fun....i purchased my first TW200 last Friday.....2009 leftover!.So far,so good.....man-o-man this engine is tight!!!...in time it will break-in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    You sound like a person with technical skill...lucky you!.Have fun....i purchased my first TW200 last Friday.....2009 leftover!.So far,so good.....man-o-man this engine is tight!!!...in time it will break-in.

If you haven't already, look at some of the posts on break-in. I've seen some say to change the oil a LOT sooner than the recommended 600(?) miles. I haven't had experience with that so can't comment personally. Congrats on the purchase!

D

Sponosred Links