tw or klr
Close

Thread: tw or klr

Hi been lurking here now I have a question.I own a 99 klr650 and use it for commuting to work and travel to our cabin in northern michigan to ride the trails.The problem is I am 52 with a fused neck and find the klr a chore on the trail and in sand.I have been thinking about selling the klr and getting a tw but with riding with my son and his klr650 I am worried the tw will not have the motor to do the road trip,225miles one way to cabin,we ride at 60 mph on secondary roads no e-way.We are also looking at doing the trans-america-trail when he gets out of collage.Question is will the tw handle the 60mph 3hour ride?Thanks for the help,this is a great fourm and info site.

I suspect that you'd find the following:

* on the road, the KLR is a clear winner in most ways

* in the dirt, you'll be much more comfortable on a TW

I have a 47tooth sprocket on the back of my TW and I've messed around a bit in the carb to make it happier on the road.. that said, I have a ride that I've been taking somewhat regularly as of late: its 30 miles each way, all 55mph speed limits, every does 62 the whole way. I get passed a lot unless I'm pushing the bike fairly hard, and holding the thing at 55 makes your arms buzz a bit even at this distance. I won't dissuade you further from buying a TW: I think they're a blast, but 3hrs at 60mph may get uncomfortable.
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

Why not buy an older TW and store it at the cabin. You'll certainly enjoy the woods better on it than the klr.

John

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

3 hours @ 60mph? Depends on the wind, weather, and grades. If ww&g are favorable, a TW will run 70mph for 3 hours. Well, not really--you'll need to stop for gas at least twice. If ww&g align against you, a TW won't run 50mph for 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman485 View Post
    Hi been lurking here now I have a question.I own a 99 klr650 and use it for commuting to work and travel to our cabin in northern michigan to ride the trails.The problem is I am 52 with a fused neck and find the klr a chore on the trail and in sand.I have been thinking about selling the klr and getting a tw but with riding with my son and his klr650 I am worried the tw will not have the motor to do the road trip,225miles one way to cabin,we ride at 60 mph on secondary roads no e-way.We are also looking at doing the trans-america-trail when he gets out of collage.Question is will the tw handle the 60mph 3hour ride?Thanks for the help,this is a great fourm and info site.
    I just sold my KLR650 and bought a 2011 TW200 yesterday. I can't imagine riding the TW 225 miles in one shot. KLR no problem rode it from Reno to Flagstaff. I'm just getting to know the TW so I'll be able to tell you more as time goes on.

Can't imagine it either Goat,but then again,my tw isn't broke-in yet!.

I have a KLR and a TW and I wouldn't want to do 350+ kilometres in a hit, perhaps in an entire day.

To be happy, you would want to make it day trip, and settle in at 50mph. Quieter, better economy and more time to enjoy the surrounds. At the end of the day, traveling at 50 opposed to 60 will only make about an hours difference; not all that much if you're on holiday.

TW isn't known for long hauls but there's a few things you can do to improve the comfort tenfold ie:

A 15 tooth sprocket in the front is great60mpr no problem, set of high rise renthal bars(not too tall) adjust the seat height for yourself, wider footpegs are good value, I've made a neoprene seat pad that was the best craft yet and cheap too, soft handle grips, jimbo's windscreen helps to mention a few. Tire pressures adjust for terrain, I have done the 250+ trip a few times and its much more comfortable now
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

I have owned both the KLR and the TW from new. The KLR is taller, more power,but more top heavy and poor in the sand or muck. I really think that the TW is a better bike for around town and rides under 200 miles. Longer rides like to Alaska would be better on a KLR.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleted View Post
    Longer rides like to Alaska would be better on a KLR.
    Depends on how fast you want to go. If you want to go over 45mph the whole way, the KLR is better. A Wee-Strom would be better, still. When I went there wasn't much pavement. I expect by now it's mostly paved, unless you go to Prudhoe Bay.

Sponosred Links