Camping semi-poll
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just wondering, as I'm planning to do a [few?] multi-night trips on the TW this summer, if money and time permits:

What tents are any of you using if you do any of this sort of ride-camping? Something with a floor and reasonable ventilation, but not a hammock type, since I can't guarantee reasonable access to convenient trees.

I'm not looking to spend any nights in hotels.. more of a backpacking trip on wheels. Aiming for mid/late summer, due to budget and time constraints, so sleeping bags aren't that big of a concern: it should still be fairly warm and a light bedroll + warm clothes should do.

How many riders are usually with you on these trips, and does more/less change the difficulty of the trip?

I'm certainly not an inexperienced outdoorsman, I grew up "out there", but I always had ineffective gear, and often more space (3 wheeler rack, etc) to pack it in/out with. Now I'm looking for something a bit more appropriate for the available space, and maybe a bit better quality if I can afford it!

Thanks, as usual Gotta fill out that NE offroad thread somehow!
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

Funny you should post this. I am actually doing my first camping trip in about 25 years on my TW this coming weekend. I will be riding 150 miles due West, camping for 3 days/2 nights, than the 150 miles back home. I already purchased most of what I think I need for this trip, and will just need to learn to do without since I can't afford anything else. I pretty much got all my camping stuff at WalMart, and some at Menards. I'm not bringing a sleeping bag since they are all just too large. Instead, I purchased a $10 cotton blanket at WalMart. I got a twin air mattress with battery pump (smaller), those folding camp stoves that fold down to 6" by 6" by 1/2", a mess kit, and other bare necessities. My tent is a 4-person tent that packs up quite small and was only about $35, if I remember correctly. After my trip next weekend, I will probably be posting a ride report with pictures, so that might give yo an idea if what this first timer is doing.

Oh, and this time, I'm riding alone and meeting a buddy there (he's in a car). I don't have any friends that ride, but then, I have very few friends

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

This site should give you some ideas. http://wetleather.com/reference/camping.html I myself am minimalist. However, you should pack enough equipment so you will be comfortable, the trip will be much more enjoyable. Remember that MORE EXPENSIVE DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN BETTER.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gonna be honest.. "more expensive means i don't own one" is often the case
    --

For my TW Camping, I like the Eureka Solitaire 2 Tent. Lite, packs small. With fly pulled back you can enter the tent from the top instead of the front door. Has enough room up front for boots, Helmet, jacket and junk.

I also use a Hennesy Hammock when I can. Sleeping bag I like the North Face Wasatch BX40 Mummy Bag. Again, Packs Small, and lite. Using a 30 year old Therma Rest 3/4 Pad. Stove is a Simple Coleman Peak 1 Multi Fuel. 1 cookset, 1 grill. 1 Camp towel, and a Solar Shower. Most of the comforts of home.........And all fits in one waterproof duffel strapped to the stock OEM Yamaha rack. Usually camp/ride Solo, but sometimes with one other. Had this Setup for a Thousand mile TAT ride last summer. Kinda like Backpacking, Minimalist Touring at it's finest. Hope some of this helps. Have Fun!
    Randy Myers

Suzuki RL250 Trials-Sold-Miss this one....

'07 TW200-Sold

'02 BMW R1150R-sold

'00 KLR 650-sold

'06 Honda Big Ruckus-Sold

"08 Honda Ruckus

"13 CRF250L

Shawnee,OK.

This thread actually started shortly after I had a talk with one of my harley-riding coworkers who was looking at the solitaire

Quote Originally Posted by carmwes View Post
    For my TW Camping, I like the Eureka Solitaire 2 Tent. Lite, packs small. With fly pulled back you can enter the tent from the top instead of the front door. Has enough room up front for boots, Helmet, jacket and junk.

I also use a Hennesy Hammock when I can. Sleeping bag I like the North Face Wasatch BX40 Mummy Bag. Again, Packs Small, and lite. Using a 30 year old Therma Rest 3/4 Pad. Stove is a Simple Coleman Peak 1 Multi Fuel. 1 cookset, 1 grill. 1 Camp towel, and a Solar Shower. Most of the comforts of home.........And all fits in one waterproof duffel strapped to the stock OEM Yamaha rack. Usually camp/ride Solo, but sometimes with one other. Had this Setup for a Thousand mile TAT ride last summer. Kinda like Backpacking, Minimalist Touring at it's finest. Hope some of this helps. Have Fun!
    --

I have been backpacking for years and can highly recommend you get a Hennessy Hammock.

I am in no way involved with this company just a very satisfied owner. http://hennessyhammock.com/

These things pack small are very light no broken poles ever, and set up anywhere you can find two trees. No sore back from sleeping on the ground. I did buy an after market rain fly that is larger than the stock and has catenary cuts sides that eliminates flapping in the wind. I got the fly from http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php

I sleep better in this hammock than in my own bed. These things are the bomb.

http://hennessyhammock.com/
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I've seen a lot of people recommend the Hennessy Hammocks.. I think thats a reasonable route, though its sometimes hard to find a pair of trees. I used to fancy the military style jungle hammocks in my youth, though I never managed to get ahold of one to try out. Sportsman's Guide used to regularly have that type for $32 on sale Seems all my money went into fuel for the dirt bikes and 3wheelers.

The Hennessy Hammocks are a bit on the pricey side, and certainly above what I wanted to spend. However, given the number of recommendations (a few here, and a bunch elsewhere), and their size when packed.. I might just have to go for it when I come up with the money. The wife already saw the tab open with their site and commented on how cool they are (and didn't scream about the price!) Now.. TW parts or hammocks.. (both!)
    --

Ditto on the Eureka tents... Pretty good stuff and as far as price goes, they are pretty good for decent gear. I have found a lot of my backpacking gear on ebay used for a fraction of the cost new. One thing to consider is how you plan to attach all your gear. Don't used bungee cords on somewhat heavy stuff, especially if you are going long distance and/or off road. Also, one of the best pieces of equipment you can get is a good sleeping pad. Good insulation from the ground can keep you as warm as a good sleeping bag with no pad.
    2008 TW200 w/ 2" handlebar risers, Ricochet bash plate, KTM front fender lifted, factory rear rack.

2006 Kawasaki KFX400

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 350

2008 Arctic Cat DVX90

2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew FX4

2000 Ford F-150 Super cab 4x4

1966 Ford Mustang GT

Motorcycle camping requires a minimalist approach, and a solid checklist will ensure you have all of the essentials without overloading your bike. here is a link to a site which talks about what you need.

http://www.trails.com/list_31265_che...ping-trip.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links