Backpack recomendations
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm a camping geek. Mon-Fri 8-5 I work as a programmer but on the weekends I'm usually camping and far away from technology. I'm looking for a good backpack that that I can use for both. Ideally I would want something that is highly visible especially at night and that can hold my gadgets, gear and helmet. Right now I'm thinking about the Icon Squad 2 Mil Spec Backpack http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon...-spec-backpack. Has anyone used this backpack and have any advice?

Currently I have 6 normal backpacking bags (kinda have addiction to gear) but I would like something more suitable for riding. Normal trips are about 6 miles in town or 30 off road. Night trips would be almost daily. Everyday gear would be laptop, tablet, jacket, small sleeping bag, hammock and misc gear. I have been using a 40L osprey for 2 years and its worked great but does not hold a helmet and sucks for visibility at night.

I have not used this backback, but I would say you got it covered. This sucks does appears to do everything you need. In fact, it looks so cool I am now considering getting one...

Backpacks and riding offroad generally don't mix. You'll want your gadgets in something hard with padding when you take a spill such as Pelican cases. Anything much bigger than a day pack is likely to hang up on low branches, which is a ticket to injury. A hard frame extending over your shoulders is the worst. Just my observations of the experiences of others who broke their toys and their bodies. I've found the only way to to keep a backpack from interfering with the ride when the rider goes gymnastic is to cinch the straps uncomfortably tight. This I know from experience.

If you have or find a pack you really like but it's not high vis, you can make iy high vis. You can buy 3M Scotchlite reflective material and sew it on anything. 3M also has a new material that heat transfers, if you know anyone with a transfer press.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I know lots of folks on all sorts of motorcycles wear and use backpacks, but as mentioned above they can be tricky, especially if worn in the woods. On a street bike I used a backpack (for a short while), and my experience was load shifting in the backpack which I didn't care for and quit using one and strapped stuff on the seat/rack.

For me, I don't think I would like the backpack you are considering wrapped around my shoulders like this one. Again for the reasons mentioned above. Also, in hot weather I don't like so much wrapped around me. Too much constriction makes me sweat too much. But I haven't seen this product in person.

On my TW, until recently the only thing I wore on my back was a camelbak. I could easily sip water while on the go, on an appropriate road surface where I could remove my left hand off the handle bar. I was careful when traveling, but most often I took a sip while stopped.

I don't think this item is for you, but right now I'm trying out a bird hunters suspender vest system. In the back where the birds would go, I attached my camelbak. I have room to place some other items in it, but again, gotta be careful of things shifting in the back which can be uncomfortable or dangerous due to shifting. It also has some zippered pouches for small items, which when riding hang about lower belt level. I've only put gloves and my cell phone in them so far. The front just has suspenders about 2 inches wide. I've only rode one time with it on so far with no issues, but it was not in the woods but on treeless BLM land.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Mor,

Greeting from a fellow gear junkie. I also suffer from this affliction and have an advanced case where I really only like very functional quality gear.

At your leasure, please Look Here and see what you think.

I have the Lightning and the Storm and my Wife has the Lightning strike. (Sounds like the Storm would be the size you would want) These are phenominal packs, you can not find one better made or thought out. TAGear is also a superlitive company to do business with, they have perfected customer service.

Some very good points have been made about wearing packs while riding (especially off road) I assure you that these packs have been engineered specifically for riding. They don't hit the seat, or your helmet, they don't stick out and you cant hurt one. I have thousands and thousands of miles wearing these packs, and the Storm glove also awsome, and I have always been comfortable and not experianced interferance from the packs.

Anyway, you asked, here's my answer, have fun!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

I have a mesh hunting vest with lots of pockets! Great idea, admiral!

Well, whaddayano? Bagger to the rescue with packs designed for dualsporting! Another WIN!

I'd still caution against loading anything sharp or solid in a pack or pocket. You can easily land on anything you carry on your body, and it doesn't take much of a lump to bruise, cut, or break something. I know one guy who broke a couple ribs when he landed on his phone.

This would be a cheap option for a few pockets and visibility.

I, too, don't like riding offroad with a backpack. As far as load shifting, I've learned a trick or two about that: I carry thick plastic shopping bags with me all the time to put everything I own in so it doesn't get trashed in the inevitable rain. If I'm wearing a backpack, I'll move them around to keep the load where I want it in the backpack. So far so good, but again, no real offroad miles with this concept.
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

I wear a backpack most of the time while riding. It is a great way to carry what I need and a lot of my 'off-road' rides also include a little hike. I use a couple of Granite Gear packs and they are great. Very adjustable, stay in place, comfortable and hold a lot. I use the Jalapeno-bigger and the Chilaca-daily.

Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly magazine did great review,here, of some Granite Gear stuff.

I have a Gregory G-Pack that I wear backpacking and it works pretty good on the bike, I just keep it light.

I use a Blaze Orange Pack cover to keep everything dry and this is very visible.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm

This thing has a bunch of uses. I think it is worth the money. I got it from Jacks R Better. I also use one of their quilts in my Hennessy Hammock. My whole back pack setup, Hammock, MacCat Tarp, Quilt, Camp stove and pot etc weighs about 12 lbs. Just add food and water and I'm ready to go. Most stuff for Ultra Light backpacking works nicely on the bike.

I am in no way associated with any of these companies, just like the stuff, even though it can be pricey.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

http://hennessyhammock.com/

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ium_stove.html
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

n2o2, how deep have you been?

You make a good point about the ultra-light backpacking stuff being good for motocamping. The problem I have with the good stuff is it costs way too much for my occasional use schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links