o-ring chain
Close

Thread: o-ring chain

I have a 2010 and I want to buy an o-ring chain,which one do I need? The bike has about 1400 miles and is basically street only.Do I need to change sprockets,if so,which one?

You will need a 428 pitch chain. Any name brand such as D.I.D., EK, etc. will do. Length of chain depends on what sprockets you are running. Search this forum because there is A LOT of info on chains. I found this link for you.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

TW200s came with 2 different wheel sprockets. 50T takes 122 links. 45T takes 120 links. If you have anally maintained your stock chain, it and the stock sprockets will be about 25% worn out. You will loose 25% of the life potential of a new chain by wrapping it on 25% worn out sprockets. If you have not maintained the chain at all, it is probably 75% worn out, and wrapping a new chain around such sprockets will reduce the life of the chain 75%. If I was in your shoes, I'd go ahead and keep the stock parts and save for a whole new set.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    TW200s came with 2 different wheel sprockets. 50T takes 122 links. 45T takes 120 links. If you have anally maintained your stock chain, it and the stock sprockets will be about 25% worn out. You will loose 25% of the life potential of a new chain by wrapping it on 25% worn out sprockets. If you have not maintained the chain at all, it is probably 75% worn out, and wrapping a new chain around such sprockets will reduce the life of the chain 75%. If I was in your shoes, I'd go ahead and keep the stock parts and save for a whole new set.
    My adjusting plate is on 4. I have kept the chain lubed and it looks okay to me. I tend to be obsessive about things! Should I just keep what I have until my adjusting plate is at its end?

Hello princeisland, I believe qwerty is saying to just use up / get your monies worth out of your original chainset. As a side benefit you will have plenty of time to decide if you want to change your gearing. I opted to toss mine at 2000mi. as I was having to adjust it every other ride. I have well over 6k on a DID o-ring and have not needed to adjust it yet. Every few months I give it a shot of Dupont Teflon dry lube, great stuff!

P.S. absolutely positively get new sprockets with your new o-ring chain.
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Yup, keep what you've got until you can replace the entire set. If you don't mind the maintenance hassles of an open chain, go ahead and wear it out. If you're like me and strive for a life of reduced maintenance hassles, swap the chain and sprockets ASAP.

Disagree. Get rid of the stock chain. After making what seemed like weekly adjustments to the stock chain on my '08 I put a DID Pro V O-ring chain on in Aug 2009 and have not needed to make a chain adjustment yet. One less thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by cptrout View Post

Disagree. Get rid of the stock chain. After making what seemed like weekly adjustments to the stock chain on my '08 I put a DID Pro V O-ring chain on in Aug 2009 and have not needed to make a chain adjustment yet. One less thing to worry about.

Hey, give the man a choice, why doncha?

The thing is I don't have a torque wrench, so when it comes to adjusting the plate there is uncertainty.Thanks for the help. Any tips on tightening without a torque wrench?

About as hard as you can pull with a box wrench with one hand.

Sponosred Links