Alright - so who's had a tire blowout??
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My 2001 has 750 miles. OEM tires are in excellent shape, have never sat flat. The OEM tubes hold air great, never varying more than +/- 1lb over 3 months timeframe. But I've heard tubed tires can create catastrophic wipeouts at speed. And I have no idea if age (at 10 years) is a big deal. It's not trivial to change them out, so I'd take comments and especially appreciate real stories if it's happened to you. Do these things go BLAM! and flat in microseconds? Or do they let out air slowly?
    - Matt

Santa Cruz, CA

2001 TW - bone stock while gathering ideas

all I can say- thats 10 year old rubber.. Tire work is one of the few things I have a bike shop do. If I take in the rim and tire they charge less than $20 each to dismount, mount and balance...

I've had plenty of blowouts. The tube types do go BLAM. It is very difficult to slow down/maneuver safely off of the road.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

First off I would like to say this a good and valid question, so why did someone give you a -1. It's a pet hate of mine, it just seems spiteful.

I would say if the tyres are not showing any signs of deteriation and you only ride on trails and slow quiet roads you could renew the tubes and keep your current tyres.

It's ultimately your decision but a blow out at speed will scare and probably hurt you.

I would not use 10 year old tubeless tyres.

Having grown up on a farm where we kept over 100 tires inflated at any one time, driven junker cars with tires borrowed off the family sedan after they were balding, and driven everything from grain trucks to motorhomes, I'm no professional tire man, but I have had some experience. Cardinal rule among RVs (read heavy vehicles, high tire pressure, high speeds, and low mileage so tires accumulate age - note the last two characteristics could apply to motorcycles) always change a tire thats 6+ years of age no matter how good the side wall looks. Yes the tw is different in that pressures are lower, speeds are moderate and slow for some of us, but a two wheel vehicle is terribly unstable with only one inflated tire. I'll bet that most mc riders would say change an old set of tires for safety (unless you can't afford the tires). Most importantly if you see any checkering on sidewall change the tires. I had a 7 or 8 year old tire blow in a parking lot while driving 30 mph or so, but before I could get the vehicle (a 4x4) stopped the entire sidewall had disintegrated and what remained didn't resemble anything I would have wanted to ridden even for a short time at 70 mph. Old rubber deteriorates and gives way under normal conditions.

If you inflate your tires properly (maintain proper pressure and check often) you will have less chance of this happening, but old is old. Tires not subjected to UV age slower than those sunbaked tires.

I know lots of folks are running old rubber, but I don't want to have a blowout at highway speeds to save $300. I'd probably change them if I had the cash. Oh, BTW, my tires on my 2002 are ten years old and I guess I should follow my own advice. Just my preference. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I put on new tires & tubes when I got my '89 TW. The rear tire was the original one (21 years old) and had major weather checking around every lug on the tire. The tube may have been original and was somehow rusted/corroded to the wheel and tire at the bead area! The front tire had been replaced at some point and the tube was newer but had at least one patch in it.

It's definitely good peace of mind to spend the money on tires and tubes so you know their maintained and safe. And like it was said before, its not too expensive to just have them mounted and balanced in a tired shop...
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

I'll hazard a guess the -1 was because he already asked the same tire question in the tech section.

http://tw200forum.co...h__1#entry21629

I myself change change tire, tube & rimstrip as a set. I'm going to try a bottle of rideon at my next tire change

http://www.ride-on.com/

I had a blowout on a Triumph Bonneville rear tire many moons ago. I let off the throttle and coasted safely to a stop. It was like riding with the back tire on smooth ice.

I had a blowout on a front at 160mph on a roadrace bike. Not fun. Then there was the blowout on the rear of a CB750. Not fun. Learned my lesson--no old tires, replace tires, tubes, and rimstrips as sets, check air pressure weekly, inspect tires daily.

New tires sitting in a warehouse can dryrot on the inside from chemical reactions with components of smog, making the tire dangerous while still looking fine on the outside. I always check the date code on the sidewall to see how old a new tire really is. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

I won't mount a tire over 3 years old, and won't keep a tire on a vehicle for over 3 years, no matter who good it looks.

Thanks for the comments - ultimately what this seems to come down to is "tires and tubes are cheap / broken bones not so". As always, I am appreciative. And Qwerty I don't know where you find the time guy - but kudos for the other help too.

Oh hey thanks for the negative rate for whatever reason. Stoked on that. And yeah - I posed a similar question about age a week ago and no one addressed it, Rich.
    - Matt

Santa Cruz, CA

@ Tom - that last sentence is too funny.
    - Matt

Santa Cruz, CA

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links