Talk to me about 90s vs newer models
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi folks,

I'm still on the hunt for a TW200. Right now, I have lined up a brand new 2010 (only 10 miles on it). Price is right, but the seller is waiting to get the title from the DMV before he can sell it to me. Might be a couple weeks.

Also on the hook is a 1996 with 1700 miles on it. One owner, clear title, and about $1000-$1200 cheaper than the 2010.

I know the 1996 has a kicker and an electric start, which I kinda like.

So besides that, can you all offer some advice here? Obviously, given that both bikes are in good clean, running order, what would be the best here? Any opinions?

Thanks - Bart

You've already spotted the major difference in the kicker. The next is the disc vs, drum brakes. Obviously disc brakes are better, but at the speeds that the TW travels, I have found the drum brakes of the older bikes to be more than adequate. Other than that, most other differences are mainly cosmetic, and are not even worth considering. If the older bike has been taken care of, and not ragged out, 1700 miles is nothing. With the kicker, cheaper price, and title readily available; I would go with the '96

Thanks for the info. Can you swap out the drums for the discs at a later point as an upgrade or is that not something you can do? As for cosmetics, aside from color combos and such, are the frames and parts layouts basically the same? What about finding parts for the older models?

Thanks again,

Bart

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The major difference is that everything on the 2010 is brand new, and everything (or at least most) on the other bike is nearly 15 years old and some of that is in need of renewal. If I had the $1000, I'd take the new bike and you will see it back if you decide to sell it within 3 years or so. See the tire blowout thread above. $300? Yes a kicker is nice but can be had for $200 that you would spend on the tires. I suspect the newer, stronger electronics, brighter headlamp, better brakes, and newness are worth the extra cash, but not if that $1000 will keep you from buying a bike at all. Either way you are going to smile as you cruise down the road, but keep us informed. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Go with the new if you can, you wont regret it. I searched for a good used bike here in B.C. but ended up with a brand new 09 and am so glad I did. Yes things can go wrong with a new bike too, but chances are it wont let you down. Places the wife and I have gone you wouldn't want to have to walk home for parts/tools. We have over 1200 Km now and other then four oil changes, air pressure adjustments, and some retightening of loose bolts....we have been worry and trouble free every trip out to the bush. I have had older bikes and been let down many times from aged components...clutch cable, brake systems, wheel bearings, etc. Depending on where you intend to ride, the '96 would be better then no bike, but the new one would be a far better bet long term from the maintenance cost alone, let alone resale value. But the most important thing here is to just get a TW !!
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

I would get the new bike, even if I love my old ladies. Adding a kickstart is not too expensive, while all the other things you may want to replace on an older bike (tires, front brake and fork, bearings, cables, maybe the carb) might cost you more than $1000 overall - and you still have an old bike, even with low mileage. If you are not going to strip the bike down to pieces for a complete rebuild (hollow mod and the like), then the new one will mean less hassle. If on the contrary you enjoy spending time in the workshop more than riding (a bit like me!), then the old one will be a nice toy to play with.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

Changing over to disc brakes can be a pricey mod. You will have to find a front wheel with the disc, a caliper with shoes and bracket, a different lower strut with the mounting holes for the caliper, a brake hose, master cylinder, and a different perch and hand lever. You would also need all the hardware and fittings, and possibly something else I'm missing. Sinophilia is correct. By the time you did all this, you would probably have just as much in it and still have an older bike. If disc brakes are a must-have, then skip the older bikes altogether.

I'm a little surprised when you say the price diff. is only 1000-1200 bucks between a new one and a 96. That is not nearly enough diff. to sway buying used. MSRP in my area for a new one is $4399.00. Dealer has one in stock on the floor-2011. By the time you add tax, title and dealer fees it is closer to $5000.00 out the door. I see used TW's for sale in this forum for less than half that and newer than 96.

For such a small price difference go with the new one, or find another used one. That'96 is way over-priced.

Replace 15-year old dryrotted tires and tubes--$300,

Full service, tune, lube, oil, and filter--$250.

Pay no money on the 2010 until seller has title in hand. Show him some cash so he knows you are serious, then put it back in your wallet. Patience is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    For such a small price difference go with the new one, or find another used one. That'96 is way over-priced.

Replace 15-year old dryrotted tires and tubes--$300,

Full service, tune, lube, oil, and filter--$250.

Having a brand new 2010 TW--Priceless.

Pay no money on the 2010 until seller has title in hand. Show him some cash so he knows you are serious, then put it back in your wallet. Patience is a virtue.

FTFY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links