chain tension
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chain tension

how much play should you allow in the chain. mine seem to shift a lot nicer with the chain relatively tight. i bought an o-ring chain because the stock one kept stretching. spent 50 bucks, and the new one really isn't much better. am i running my chain to tight?

Maybe. Look in the manual and make sure you are adjusting it to spec.

It's normal to adjust the o-ring chain once or twice as it breaks in. If you keep having to adjust it often after that, you've got problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Maybe. Look in the manual and make sure you are adjusting it to spec.

It's normal to adjust the o-ring chain once or twice as it breaks in. If you keep having to adjust it often after that, you've got [s]problems[/s] worn out sprockets and have already ruined your new chain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hello hoofhearted529, so did you install new sprockets with the new chain? This is a necessity unless they are virtually / really really close to new. Like maybe less than 100 miles. Even that could be too much. The factory chain starts stretching / wearing immediately and wears the sprockets to match. Not good for a new o-ring chain .

GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

yeah i dropped down to a 47 tooth.

i bought the bike used with no manual. i was just looking for a roundabout answer as far as how much slack most people allow. (1/2 inch, 1 inch ect.)

(side question) i said b4 that my bike seems to shift smother with the chain pretty tight. am i running a risk of damaging the bike by running the chain to tight? thanks for the help i appreciate it.

Don't run it too tight. You will risk damage to the countershaft bearing and other parts.

Slack should be 30-40 mm (1.2 - 1.6 inches).

Owner's manual : 1.4" to 2.4" (35mm to 60mm)

Shop manual : 1.2" to 1.6" (30mm to 40mm)

Figure that one out!

With the top part of the chain taught, using the trailing edge of the piece of plastic from the chain guard that hangs below the swing arm, I have mine set at about 2.25" vertical slop.

People tell me it is to loose but if I go one notch tighter on the snail it is only about 1.2" and the rule is "a little loose is better than a little tight".

The tightest the chain gets is when the primary sprocket shaft, the swing arm shaft and the rear axle make a straight line. If there is a little slop when these three points align then I think you should be OK.

Fifty bucks for an o-ring chain sounds like a bargain. I paid $35 for a regular chain and have maintained it religiously. It has over 11K miles on it and looks in great shape. I did replace the sprockets with the chain so it was an entirely new package.

Good luck!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

hey thanks allot. i defiantly have mine too tight. ill make the adjustments. thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links