I got pulled over by the man!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Today I was tinkering with the T-dub and got her running pretty good. The bike has been in storage for over a decade. I was a little excited to ride her. Now, it was about 5 in the evening with plenty of daylight left so I thought I would make the most of it. I started the bike and got it idling super nice and decided to take a very very short jaunt down the road to see how the bike is tracking. I ride maybe a total of about 3/4 mile up my residential street and I start my return home then I get pulled over by a motorcycle policeman. Now, the thing is, this bike is a little more than beat up. It has no working turn signals, no plate, no registration, no mirrors, etc. I figure I am screwed. So, I did what I always do if I get pulled over. Which is very seldom by the way. I gave him my military ID instead of my license. This always seems to schmooze them over a little. Now I must say I have the utmost respect for law enforcement and I stood ready to take my lumps. I explain to Officer Friendly that I literally just got the bike running and took it for a little test ride. I am just yards from my home. He then asks me what type of bike it is and a few more questions and tells me to get it off the road until it is legal. With that, I am very satisfied that I am escaping certain financial doom. My complaint is that other than a few minor parts and documents, this bike is road worthy. I am dissatisfied with my neighbors who complained of my riding. I wasn't gunning the throttle making tons of noise at an obscene hour. I wasn't riding fast or careless either. In fact, I had a helmet and other protective equipment on as well. My question is this. Do many of you other riders get pulled over and hassled as well?

I think you may be a little paranoid--your neighbors don't really hate you, do they?

You're unlucky enough to have pulled a u-turn were a motocop could see you. A u-turn before you get to any cop is pretty much just cause to be pulled over. You're lucky he let you go. Could have been no tag, no registration, no insurance, no inspection, no license, no endorsement, and equipment violations. Be thankful--he could have really ruined your day.

I've been pulled over here 3 times in 6 weeks by the same cop, and did nothing wrong. first time was for leaning in a corner (duh), second was weaving side to side in my line (following large SUV and cars at stop on crossroad on both sides and using lane position change to be seen by both), and riding when it was 11* and snowing . I told him to write the ticket all three times and he'd better be prepared to describe to the judge exactly what I was doing illegal, because I'd be there with the state's motorcycle book to show in the book exactly what I was doing each time. I don't think he was trying to be a prick--it just came natural to him. I also think he was just plain ignorant about motorcycles.

I got pulled over in Fort Worth for riding Tdub 120mph on the interstate. Another cop who just didn't know, but he turned out to be a super nice guy and eventually bought himself a TW for his first motorcycle. I actually ended up taking the Experienced Rider Course and met him in the Ozarks for a little fun in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Today I was tinkering with the T-dub and got her running pretty good. The bike has been in storage for over a decade. I was a little excited to ride her. Now, it was about 5 in the evening with plenty of daylight left so I thought I would make the most of it. I started the bike and got it idling super nice and decided to take a very very short jaunt down the road to see how the bike is tracking. I ride maybe a total of about 3/4 mile up my residential street and I start my return home then I get pulled over by a motorcycle policeman. Now, the thing is, this bike is a little more than beat up. It has no working turn signals, no plate, no registration, no mirrors, etc. I figure I am screwed. So, I did what I always do if I get pulled over. Which is very seldom by the way. I gave him my military ID instead of my license. This always seems to schmooze them over a little. Now I must say I have the utmost respect for law enforcement and I stood ready to take my lumps. I explain to Officer Friendly that I literally just got the bike running and took it for a little test ride. I am just yards from my home. He then asks me what type of bike it is and a few more questions and tells me to get it off the road until it is legal. With that, I am very satisfied that I am escaping certain financial doom. My complaint is that other than a few minor parts and documents, this bike is road worthy. I am dissatisfied with my neighbors who complained of my riding. I wasn't gunning the throttle making tons of noise at an obscene hour. I wasn't riding fast or careless either. In fact, I had a helmet and other protective equipment on as well. My question is this. Do many of you other riders get pulled over and hassled as well?
    Your more than Lucky. If your command got word of you riding like that you never know how they will react depending on their moods. They might say ok don't let it happen again. The other hand is straight say no more riding for you period. Its bad enough the military requires you to wear a crap load of gear all the time on duty or not and take their riders class even though your already licensed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My whole issue is not that I was completely wrong. My issue is that if I was street legal with a plate and signals, the officer would have had no reason to pull me over. I am upset with my neighbors who complained. I bet it was the neighbor who's dogs bark all night, or the one in a rock band who practices with the volume on 11 all the time. My point is the officer is just doing his job, but he wouldn't have been there if someone didn't call him in.

Tommy,

I do the same thing with my military ID works most of the time but never in Kentucky, the state troopers are hard asses..lol

Qwerty,

Wow 120mph??? you have the speed record for a Tdub... I would have loved to see that one in court

You hand them your Mili. ID(utmost respect huh!...schmooze them over...minor parts and documents.....being hassled).......you we'e WRONG from the get-go military person!!!.You sound like one of those folks that goes around talkin smack and then when they get caught,you screem help!,cry foul! etc. .Yea, the military really straightened you out...god help us.

My whole issue is not that I was completely wrong. My issue is that if I was street legal with a plate and signals, the officer would have had no reason to pull me over. I am upset with my neighbors who complained. I bet it was the neighbor who's dogs bark all night, or the one in a rock band who practices with the volume on 11 all the time. My point is the officer is just doing his job, but he wouldn't have been there if someone didn't call him in.

Sounds like you are getting worked up over an issue you already claimed as your own fault. Don't let it bother you that much. Just move on.

How do you even know the neighbors called? Did the cop tell you that? Could it may have been just a coincidence that the cop was there? Has there NEVER been a random cop that has come down your street from time to time?

The TW doesn't look like it belongs on the street. It's a freak of a bike that screams "dirt bike" not "manufactured street legal onroad/offroad". Your neighbors probably focused on its looks not matching the place it was being driven, if they even called. So what. Be glad you have neighbors that pay enough attention to call that in. If you have issues with your neighbors' dogs, loud music, etc. then CALL THEM IN. You can't complain if you've never taken action. Even if it's just a friendly stop over to let them know their music gets loud at times or their dog is keeping you up.

You're worked up over nothing. You're not getting much sympathy on here. Just drop it and get working on that bike! Remember, the sooner you are legal the sooner you can ride and then they can call all they want and you can have the last laugh.

Like you said, "My issue is that if I was street legal with a plate and signals, the officer would have had no reason to pull me over." SO GO GET THE PROPER EQUIPMENT TO MAKE IT LEGAL AND RIDE!!!
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by chines75 View Post
    Tommy,

I do the same thing with my military ID works most of the time but never in Kentucky, the state troopers are hard asses..lol

Qwerty,

Wow 120mph??? you have the speed record for a Tdub... I would have loved to see that one in court
    KY LEOs suck I have to deal with their KDOT on a regular basis. One pulled me over in a wrecker and wrote a bunch of invalid tickets. Beat them all in court. A few weeks later a club called for a recovery of a vehicle that had slipped off the road during an ice storm. I left the DOT guy's wife and kid in the ditch--she was on the KY side of State Line Road. I couldn't legally help her. Had she of been anyone else, I would have. It's a small world, anmd what goes around, comes around.

As for the speeding, Tdub and I were tooling down the interstate and a herd of stuntas passed, then pulled off a couple exits up the road. As we topped the bridge at that exit, the stuntas all ran the light below and passed us again just after we passed the on ramp, an LEO hot on their tail. I pulled over to emergency lane let the LEO by and he pulled in behind me. When he told me he was going to give me a ticket for 120mph on the ramp, I about died laughing. I told him I'd be honored to have earned such a performance award on a TW as I'd be world famous once it hit the internet. I've already told the rest of the story.

I'm kind of agreeing the the frog and pgilles, the OP needs a bit of reality check. Expecting special treatment due to being in the military? Why, that's just scummy, and a disgrace to the services. You'd be all asunder if a cop, judge, firefighter, or politician pulled that crap and got away with something.

I think I didn't communicate my intentions in my previous posts. I have no problem accepting that I was wrong and deserved whatever consequences that were due to me. I am a very law-abiding citizen and the only reason I gave the officer my military ID is so that I may possibly receive some professional courtesy.I did not expect any special treatment. The point was to identify with the officer with some mutual respect. I have no issues with the officer. I am a very friendly and courteous neighbor. I have gone to those troublesome neighbors and confronted them with the issues that I have with them in a very direct and polite manner. I also have an understanding that each person's home is their castle and treat them with respect and dignity that they may enjoy the freedoms in which I fought and continue to fight for. I am of the opinion that I was given so much leniency because I am a good citizen and I did not give the officer any hardship but was willing to accept responsibility for my actions. We also had a great conversation regarding both of our passions for riding motorcycles. I also have taken the steps necessary to make the bike legal. It has not been and will not be on the road until these steps have been reached. It was very out of character for a motorcycle policeman to be so deep in my residential neighborhood. The officer did admit the only reason he was there was because of a complaint. I might also add that I went to my neighbors who may have been offended and apologized for any way I might have offended them. That is what I believe good neighbors do.

My whole point of posting was to pose the question, does anyone(who is street legal) get pulled over frequently because of the suspicion that the bike is not street legal, or for other reasons, possibly?

ive been pulled over almost once a week since i got my bike. apparently there is a bandit that rides a 1987 tw200 as well and he wears a black jacket and blue helmet like me. guy always runs and hasn't been caught yet(no plates). i tell people this and they say im being harrassed but i dont mind i just hope they catch the idiot one day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links