shifting problems
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    This fairly new to me 2001 with 1500 miles is very hard to shift, when stationary, It shifts fine when riding, however it seems the hotter it gets the harder it is to shift when stationary, Especially 1st, so much pressure has to be applied that it makes it almost impossible to find neutral...and it shifts real clunky. even with the motor off,,its still clunky. I have checked the spring an it is correctly in place.

    Any Ideas????

  2. #2
    Senior Member RodneyReed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    866
    Never shift while stationary, except when going from neutral to first. Never shift with the engine not running, unless you have to. To go from first to neutral, gently roll the bike a couple of inches while simultaneously pulling up gently on the shifter. Once you get the hang of it, you'll see how easy it is.



    Make sure you're clutch is in good shape and adjusted properly, and you're using good quality oil.



    If you find yourself in, let's say, 3rd gear with the engine off, after a tip over or something. Pull in the clutch, gently roll the bike back and forth, and gently click down one gear at a time to first. Then back to neutral as described above, and restart the engine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Never shift while stationary, except when going from neutral to first. Never shift with the engine not running, unless you have to. To go from first to neutral, gently roll the bike a couple of inches while simultaneously pulling up gently on the shifter. Once you get the hang of it, you'll see how easy it is.



    Make sure you're clutch is in good shape and adjusted properly, and you're using good quality oil.



    If you find yourself in, let's say, 3rd gear with the engine off, after a tip over or something. Pull in the clutch, gently roll the bike back and forth, and gently click down one gear at a time to first. Then back to neutral as described above, and restart the engine.


    Are you saying that this is typical of these bikes? ...hummm

    Thanks for the info.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member lizrdbrth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Desert, SoCal
    Posts
    7,369
    These bikes become increasingly more difficult to shift with old, incorrect or poor quality oil in the crank case or when the chain is out of adjustment.



    Almost all bikes do, but when you only got a quart of oil to begin with...



    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

    Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  6. #5
    Senior Member rm_hm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Near Narrows Bridges, WA State
    Posts
    1,619


  7. #6
    Senior Member uktw125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Devon, England.
    Posts
    614
    Has the shifting got worse than when you first got the bike? Have you recently changed the oil?

    If the clutch and chain are adjusted correctly as per the manual it should shift fine, but as said before rock the bike back and forth or feather the clutch (release the lever very slightly and then pull it back in) to help find neutral.



    I don't really understand this about TW's having bad gear changes, I've ridden hundreds of bikes and the TW is not the best but neither is it the worst by a long way, well mine isn't anyway.



    Have you got access to another bike to compare?

  8. #7
    Senior Member srs713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Smyrna, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,417
    Shifting the motorcycle transmission is moving some of the gears in it sideways to engage with different gears. In order to do this smoothly a transmission is designed with a synchronization system that needs to be turning in order to work.



    Shifting while sitting still will often shove the teeth of the gears into each other sideways with the teeth out of alignment. What you are feeling when you shift while sitting still is the sides of the gears hitting each other. Repeatedly stomping on the shift lever may rotate the gears enough to finally get the transmission to shift into the next gear, but it's not the right way to do it.



    Rider courses teach you to down shift while coming to a stop, not after. Slightly rolling the bike while shifting works because it rotates/uses the syncro system, lining up the teeth for the shift.

    Stephen S.

    '07 TW200:

    15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

    tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

    Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

  9. #8
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    It really doesn't take much of a roll to line up the cogs and synchros. I always park my bikes in first to prevent rolling if bumped. I start in neutral. I've found it much easier to back the bike out of the garage before starting, in gear, just pull in the clutch. I don all gear except helmet and gloves before starting. To find neutral before starting I just rock the bike gently back and forth, right foot on the ground, left foot applying steady but gentle pressure to the shifter. Since at the same time I'm putting on my helmet, the clutch is not pulled back. Every motorcycle I've ever owned has been easy to find neutral this way. I touch the magic button and the bike starts, simple as that. I then put on gloves, and ride gently away. I do keep the rpm and throttle position very conservative for the first mile or so as the engine warms, and I don't see it necessary to let the bike idle until running temperature is reached. Just don't dog it when cold.




  10. #9
    Senior Member RodneyReed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
    Are you saying that this is typical of these bikes? ...hummm

    Thanks for the info.


    I agree with uktw125. This bike is around middle-of-the-road shifting wise. The advice given by all so far works for all bikes.

  11. #10
    Senior Member rastaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by uktw125 View Post
    Has the shifting got worse than when you first got the bike? Have you recently changed the oil?

    If the clutch and chain are adjusted correctly as per the manual it should shift fine, but as said before rock the bike back and forth or feather the clutch (release the lever very slightly and then pull it back in) to help find neutral.



    I don't really understand this about TW's having bad gear changes, I've ridden hundreds of bikes and the TW is not the best but neither is it the worst by a long way, well mine isn't anyway.



    Have you got access to another bike to compare?


    This is just the second time I took it for a ride and the longest...3 miles..hadnt really noticed anything strange before....just that when I stopped I just couldnt get the bike in neutral..dont remember if I tried rocking it, but it was very clunky....I own two other bikes, a vstrom and a virago, this bike is by far the roughest shifting,so it caught me by off guard. I thought the trany was defective. I plan on changing the oil tomorrow...and will try all the tips given....Thanks guys, at least I am not now worried, I will just my riding to suit it, actually this bike is for my wife to learn to ride on..she will have to learn the tips too :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Neutral Light and shifting / engine questions
    By TWBUSHMAN in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM
  2. Hard shifting/getting 'stuck' both up and down
    By skase98 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 09:05 AM
  3. Loud clunk when down shifting
    By moneal in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM
  4. Shifting problems.
    By ChipBeck in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
  5. Shifting part way
    By Rainman in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM

Search tags for this page

transmission problems on the tw200
,
tw 200 clunky shifting
,
tw 200 shifter issues
,
tw 200 transmission problem
,

tw200 clunky shifting

,
tw200 gearshifter
,
tw200 oil hard shifting
,

tw200 shift problem

Click on a term to search for related topics.