Oil/filter change
Close

I just changed the oil and filter on my recently purchased 2008 TW. New filter, yes it is the correct one. New o-rings as well. I have a slight oil leak right below the left hand screw on the oil filter cover. This occurred after a ride around the block. I let the bike cool down, removed the cover to make sure the o-ring was not crimped in anyway. It is fine. Reinstalled and there is still a slight leak. Other than the o-ring, are there any other gaskets? There was not a leak prior to changing oil. Any thoughts as to what I might be missing? I do not want to over tighten. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    I just changed the oil and filter on my recently purchased 2008 TW. New filter, yes it is the correct one. New o-rings as well. I have a slight oil leak right below the left hand screw on the oil filter cover. This occurred after a ride around the block. I let the bike cool down, removed the cover to make sure the o-ring was not crimped in anyway. It is fine. Reinstalled and there is still a slight leak. Other than the o-ring, are there any other gaskets? There was not a leak prior to changing oil. Any thoughts as to what I might be missing? I do not want to over tighten. Thanks.

Do you have the oil filter seated correctly? I have noticed it to be little bit tricky. Also, I always try and tighten those three bolts evenly (turn one then move on to the next in order slowly tightening them down). Other than that the only thing I can think of is that there is a slight tear in your gasket seal or maybe it popped up out of its groove.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    Do you have the oil filter seated correctly? I have noticed it to be little bit tricky. Also, I always try and tighten those three bolts evenly (turn one then move on to the next in order slowly tightening them down). Other than that the only thing I can think of is that there is a slight tear in your gasket seal or maybe it popped up out of its groove.

good luck!

did you use the right filter? you might want to double check that.
    Matt

2001 TW200, 2011 Heritage Softail Classic, 2005 Rhino

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Did you use a torque wrench?

Changed mine last week with no leakage problems. Like Johnny B and qwerty, I alternated tightened the bolts and used a torque wrench to finish it up. I'm not so worried about under torque as with over-torquing them and stripping the threads either on the bolt or case.

I did see fiddle a little seating the filter, but with no real problems, just making sure it would work.

Also with fresh new oil added, quieted some of the engine clatter noise. I'm sure my TW loves me now!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Changed mine last week with no leakage problems. Like Johnny B and qwerty, I alternated tightened the bolts and used a torque wrench to finish it up. I'm not so worried about under torque as with over-torquing them and stripping the threads either on the bolt or case. With the torque wrench I'm sure.

I did fiddle a little seating the filter, but had no problems, just making sure it was seated properly.

Also with fresh new oil added, quieted some of the engine clatter noise. I'm sure my TW loves me now!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thank you everyone who has replied. Yes, I have the correct filter. Made sure before I left the dealership and thanks to the member who showed pictures of the correct filter. I double checked the filter install and the o-rings. Both are brand new. I did not torque the bolts as I do not have a torque wrench. That will be corrected this weekend, however. Thanks again and safe riding everyone. Carl

Sponosred Links