Clarke fuel cap
Close

Thread: Clarke fuel cap

I still have yet to order a Clarke fuel tank, and probably won't until next Spring, but I was wondering about the fuel cap. Is that just a plastic, non-locking screw-in type cap, or is the one from the original tank to be used on it? I don't like the idea of not having a locking fuel cap on my bike, car, etc. Any insight from those of you already using a Clarke tank?

Thanks all,

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Hey Dan,

I shared the same exact concern as you. I sort of received a little teasing here when I voiced it a few months ago. It is a simple plastic, non-locking cap that does not offer any security protection. I've sort of learned to ignore the potential, minimal threat of vandals, gas theives, or pranksters and realized that it is pretty unlikely that it will happen. I guess I really don't have any solutions for you...

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Hey Dan,

I shared the same exact concern as you. I sort of received a little teasing here when I voiced it a few months ago. It is a simple plastic, non-locking cap that does not offer any security protection. I've sort of learned to ignore the potential, minimal threat of vandals, gas theives, or pranksters and realized that it is pretty unlikely that it will happen. I guess I really don't have any solutions for you...

-Adam

The TW200 was the first bike I bought that came with a locking gas cap, so I am used to not having a secure cap and for all the years I have owned bikes no one has ever messed with my fuel tank (that's over 40 years). Now that locking caps are common I guess that those who expect locking fuel caps would naturally be concerned.

Just one riders experience.

Mike

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

nobody has stolen my gas yet

Thanks for the insight guys. I guess I was more concerned because I have had gas stolen before. I had a full tank of gas in my 1981 Buick Century when I parked the car to go to work, and when I came out to the car after work, I had just enough gas to get to the gas station a couple of blocks away. I guess that's the joy of living in Chicagoland. Ever since, I've always purchased locking gas caps for my cars if they didn't have one, or if they didn't have a locking fuel door.

Anyhow, I guess this bike won't stay outdoors unattended for very long stretches of time (It lives in either my shed or my mom's garage when not in use most of the time) so maybe it's not a big deal on that bike.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

I think it would be worth a call to JustGasTanks.com to see if the Acerbis Locking Gas Cap would fit.

It says it fits the IMS with larger threads and looks like it might fit?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Yep- just plastic with no lock. If someone stole gas from the stock T-Dub tank and left you with just enough gas to travel a couple of blocks to the nearest gas station, he would then only have enough stolen gas to get HIS car a couple blocks to the nearest gas station. Plan to meet him there! I think a thief would have his work cut out for him if he wanted to steal enough gas to fill his car from a T-Dub convention - and then he might balk if he read the threads on riders carrying weapons on their bikes. The only thing I really don't like about the cap is the the fuel vent on top - I can often smell fumes emanating from it.
    Happy Trails,

capt pow!

2010 TW200, factory rear rack, Chinese jumbo footpegs, Jimbo windshield, ScalaRider G4, Clarke 2.7 Gallon tank, Koso tachometer, Stearns seat cover, gel grips, Dirtly 1" handlebar risers, Osram Rallye H4 bulb, Cortec Deluxe rear bag .

jvt
    I took the tumblers out of my cap. Never did like The trouble to unlock it. I fail to see why anyone would mess with 1 gallon. Gas line is easy to pull off if you wanted.I always thought the lock was to keep vandals from adding stuff. But then I don't even lock much stuff.

The Clarke cap is designed to fit a small piece of vacuum line that runs forward over the tank and can be slide in between the frame and cables, then terminate under the fuel tank above the fender.

You could also "T" this line into the charcoal canister on California bikes to prevent fuel vapor emissions. On bikes I expected to spend a lot of time in water I collected the carb and tank vents and ran a hose up to the handlebars to keep water from being sucked in.

Sponosred Links