After mods, still not low enough...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have replaced the rear shock with the Vstar shock, That lowered the bike 3"s...I have removed all the sponge from the seat. my wife is 5'1"...and her toes still dont touch. now what? I am thinking of taking a pair of her boots to the shoe maker and seeing if he can add an inch. Failing that I might just end up with a TW for sale (i dont need 3 bikes),,or at least I will have a real nice Vstar shock for sale...I think...unless someone has another idea.

I have not lowered the front forks,as I dont think that would affect the seating height, just the handling...am I correct

It will help. Platform boots are a good idea, and more common than one would think.

It's my understanding that you want to lower the forks the same amount that the backend was lowered. I'm surprised that she can't touch even with her toes? My wife is 5'1 1/2 and she rides the TW just fine stock. Though she would prefer it lowered a little. Her boots do have a 1" sole on them. Remember she doesn't need to flat foot it on the ground. Is she a new rider? If she is just take her to a big parking lot and let her loose. I'm sure she will get the hang of it.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
    I have replaced the rear shock with the Vstar shock, That lowered the bike 3"s...I have removed all the sponge from the seat. my wife is 5'1"...and her toes still dont touch. now what? I am thinking of taking a pair of her boots to the shoe maker and seeing if he can add an inch. Failing that I might just end up with a TW for sale (i dont need 3 bikes),,or at least I will have a real nice Vstar shock for sale...I think...unless someone has another idea.

I have not lowered the front forks,as I dont think that would affect the seating height, just the handling...am I correct

Due to vertical challenge issues I have for years have had to get my boot adjusted about 1/2" (the lighter colored material in the sole).

You may have to do some tweaking of the brake and or shift lever but it is a viable option.

The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    It's my understanding that you want to lower the forks the same amount that the backend was lowered. I'm surprised that she can't touch even with her toes? My wife is 5'1 1/2 and she rides the TW just fine stock. Though she would prefer it lowered a little. Her boots do have a 1" sole on them. Remember she doesn't need to flat foot it on the ground. Is she a new rider? If she is just take her to a big parking lot and let her loose. I'm sure she will get the hang of it.

Yeh I know, I was so disappointed at first that I didnt even want to go to the trouble of lowering the front. Now the more I think about it I think it might actually help make the bike lower. She is a brand new rider, only one day at the MSC and had a down off of a honda rebel...so she is kinda timid. I am going to lower the front, if that doesnt work..off to the shoe shop..heck might even go to the shoe shop either way. Because right now there is no sponge on the seat.

I cant believe your wife rides a stock TW..is that what she learned to ride on?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    It will help. Platform boots are a good idea, and more common than one would think.

The ones we have looked at look so cumbersome...I would think it would make shifting difficult. But we are still looking. Yeh and they usually have those god awful heels

You can only lower the front as far as the handlebars will allow. But it will help to quicken the steering a bit, which may in turn help make the bike feel a bit less cumbersome.

If you've already lowered the rear 3" you can take the forks all the way to the bottom of the bars safely. Just make sure both tubes are at equal heights.

Not much else you can do. Built up boots create their own set of distractions for new riders, IMO.

I find the hard part is giving them enough seat time to gain confidence, rather than modding the bike. In most cases the height issue vaporizes with seat time. This is already one of the lowest bikes around.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

how much lower do you need to go?

Quote Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
    how much lower do you need to go?

Right now I think 1 inch would make her toes touch, and thats with just a towel on the seat base...no cushion.

There are two more ways left I can think of. One is to take the spring off the shock and cut off a couple of inches off the shaft. Re-tap it and re assemble it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links