Finding happiness
Close

Can I find happiness in a 2006 tw200 eventhough they are prone to gasket problems?

Has anyone had zero issues with tree 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Can I find happiness in a 2006 tw200 eventhough they are prone to gasket problems?

Has anyone had zero issues with tree 2006?

The gasket problem is no big deal. Less than $50 worth of parts, 2-3 hours of time. You WILL find happiness.

I've had a dozen or so bikes over the years of different makes and none of them had ZERO problems. Some bikes just have less problems then others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it leaks you can still take it for long walks on the beach and buy it flowers on special occasions.

Anyone know what the book shop time is on a base gasket? That should help him with the coin toss if he can't do it himself.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I find it hard to believe they all have it.

But, if that will turn you sour on the entire TW experience; you don't want it that bad.

Overall, they have very few problems (look at how long they've been in production) and this one is only a maybe. You could do a lot worse!

I have been on this forum & the old one for a number of years. I am of the opinion that the base gasket issue is statistically a non-issue. It certainly can happen, but of all the bikes represented here, only a very few have been impacted. So far my 06 has been ok. Given the fine post on "Base Gasket replacement" I would not be in fear of having to deal with the condition. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

I have a 2005 that leaks about an ounce between changes. Not worth worrying about, or the time and money to change the gasket. That said, whether you choose to fix it or just ride it, you will love this bike.

Forums, by nature, contain issues that people are looking for a solution to. They're, generally, for problem solving and therefore you see "lots of problems" when reading through them. I've never started a thread that said "2004 TW200, base gasket still good". It may seem they ALL have issues because you see issues a lot on here, but, I'm with Gerry, if all of us without issues posted we never had issues then the pendulum would swing in favor of it as a non-issue. But yes, that year is known to have an issue. How much of an issue, I don't know.

And to boot, if it does affect you it's not a hard fix. Go for it and budget a fix if you ever have to cross that bridge.

Usually what happens with me is I get hesitant because of known issues but then finally make the purchase only to crash the thing and have bigger fish to fry.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have a really dopey question. Has anyone tried simply retorquing the cylinder when they leak? I know they got sloppy with the castings over the years, but they can't all be affected.

Anyway, just wondered. That's the first thing I'd try.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My 2009 top end fasteners were a pinch below spec torque when I checked it at 600 miles.

Sponosred Links