• 2 Post By CS1983
  • 1 Post By 1911garand
  • 1 Post By Ronbo
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian
  • 2 Post By peter
  • 4 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: Why no kick starter?

Why no kick starter?

Just wondering why Yamaha stopped putting a kick starter on a trail bike? Luckily I own a '94 so I have a kick starter. I would be very hesitant to buy a TW 2001 and newer without the ability to kick start it.
    I've had to use the kick starter several times while in the woods and would hate to be without it. Heading up hill on a narrow, rocky trail is no place to be with a dead bike and a week battery. It seems like a minimal cost no-brainer for Yamaha to still install it at the factory considering the TW200's intended use.
    Just wondering what other peoples experiences/thoughts are?
    '94 TW200

I have my conspiracy theories on this; however, I have recently purchased a kickstarter kit w/ all included as needed and will be rectifying this oversight on yamaha's part.

Frankly, I have NO IDEA why something like the AG200 is not sold in the US.
    admiral and 1911garand like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Just wondering why Yamaha stopped putting a kick starter on a trail bike? Luckily I own a '94 so I have a kick starter. I would be very hesitant to buy a TW 2001 and newer without the ability to kick start it.
    I've had to use the kick starter several times while in the woods and would hate to be without it. Heading up hill on a narrow, rocky trail is no place to be with a dead bike and a week battery. It seems like a minimal cost no-brainer for Yamaha to still install it at the factory considering the TW200's intended use.
    Just wondering what other peoples experiences/thoughts are?

Not putting a kick starter on 2001 & newer TW200's was stupid. Not continuing to make the kick starter parts available to put on 2001 & newer was another stupid.

While I too love having a kicker on 2 of our 3 TW's (2005, 2015, & 2016), I have found myself on a trail where having the magic button (E-Start) was nice. Sometimes trying to kick start a bike while pointed uphill with the front tire over a root and no place to put your left foot allowing you to kick. It would not have been a pleasant outcome had I not had the e-start.

I'm very thankful for the e-start and glad I have both, which is what they should have continued to do as you mention.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

$$$ - cost reduction.

With all the kick start parts, added labor time to assemble (by Yamaha), parts storage, supplier logistics etc... I'd bet it it a $5-10 cost reduction per unit.

Someone got a fatty bonus in Y2K for that one.

I'd also venture to say that some market / customer analysis was done and it was discovered that the factory kick starter added no benefit for sales or show room appeal.

I have a 1992 - problem solved.
    Last edited by 1911garand; 10-03-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    admiral likes this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I have found myself on a trail where having the magic button (E-Start) was nice. Sometimes trying to kick start a bike while pointed uphill with the front tire over a root and no place to put your left foot allowing you to kick. It would not have been a pleasant outcome had I not had the e-start.

I'm very thankful for the e-start and glad I have both, which is what they should have continued to do as you mention.
    I agree. Having both has been very beneficial on different occasions. Not having a kick-starting would have jammed me up on several occasions also.
    1911garand likes this.
    '94 TW200

Wish I had them on our bikes. But until I find a good source for them I carry this.

EPAuto 600A Peak 13000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster with USB Power Bank and Emergency Flashlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AYQO7DU..._L3P8xbN5AK9BX
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

In model year 2001, Yamaha deleted the kickstarter and replaced the front drum brake with a disc brake. As stated above, I am sure this was a cost driven decision.

I have installed kickers on my 2005 and 2007 TW's, and these have come in handy on multiple occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    In model year 2001, Yamaha deleted the kickstarter and replaced the front drum brake with a disc brake. As stated above, I am sure this was a cost driven decision.

I have installed kickers on my 2005 and 2007 TW's, and these have come in handy on multiple occasions.
    I am so fed up and jealous about you guys with your kick starters. I probably will fly over and steal two!!! If they don't close our airport due to hurricane Matthew.
    admiral and BkCntryCrwlr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I am so fed up and jealous about you guys with your kick starters. I probably will fly over and steal two!!! If they don't close our airport due to hurricane Matthew.
    Hahaha, just send me a couple of airline tickets and I'll fly over and install a couple of them for you !

I hope hurricane Matthew misses you.

Sponosred Links