Purchase a 87' TW200??????
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey guys, as you can see I am new to this forum and also new to motorcycles. I have come across a 1987 TW 200 for 350$ I was told that the bike ran two years ago and has sat since. He wants to get the bike out of storage quickly. I was also told that the kick starter will not return to it's starting position because it needs a spring. He said that it will probably need a carb clean and for the gas tank to be drained and cleaned as well. He said the bike has great compression but again has been sitting for 2 years. My questions are: Is this a good bike for me to try and fix up? Just based on what the seller is saying, what do you think the cost would be to get the bike running again? Are there some good questions to ask this guy? Is there anything that you guys would look at first that would detour you from buying the bike? Any help would be great!! I have read tons of stuff from this forum and I am getting excited about possibly fixing this bike up and riding all over hell and back!! Any suggestions??? Thank you for your time! Smitty

Assuming it has a title I would jump on a $350 TW in a heartbeat. Sounds like it is more or less complete just needs some work. Worst case would be that it is a parts bike and you would likely get at least $350 out of it for the cost of a little elbow grease and some time on E-bay/Craiglist and the Classifieds here.

If you wanted to get it up and running to full street legal and safe the cost would depend a ton on how handy and creative you are and what parts it would need. A few of our class A scavenger and tinkerers on the forum have put TWs into functional service for virtually nothing but time. These are old style engines and carbs on a simple motorcycle, easy to fix and very tolerant of the shade tree mechanic.
    2008 TW200

2007 Triumph Scrambler (Sold)

Sounds like what is often called a "mechanics special." So... ask yourself 'what kind of mechanic am I'? If you know your stuff and like working on stuff like this...hey, go for it. Or, as someone else has suggested, you could always part it out and likely make more than the $350 being asked. If instead you intend to fire it up and ride it right away with no issues, this might not be the bike for you.

BTW - Nice to see a fellow Idahoan here. Whereabouts do you live?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For that price I would get it for the parts if for nothing else

take it
    11 ninja 1000

'87's have a one-year electrical system. Other than that, they're mechanically identical to an '88-'00 TW. But that electrical issue can be a real dealbreaker, depending upon your skill level.

Many '87's are sold due to CDI issues. Difficult to diagnose as the bike will usually run, but lack power, or run properly, then suddenly go gutless or quit running entirely, only to restart normally a few minutes later and run fine. The PO may truly believe that the bike has a simple carb issue that he can't figure out, or may have correctly diagnosed a CDI issue, discovered the expense of replacement and is trying to pass his problem on to you without informing you of its history. A non-running '87 can be a pig in a poke, so be careful.

Other than the potential for that, the price is a bargain. New tires, chain, battery, etc., and and give it a full maintenence and Bob's yer uncle for a few hundred additional dollars. Still well below the typical asking price.

I'd question the PO as craftily as possible regarding what led to the bike being put into storage. Add a $300 dollar CDI unit to the cost of ownership and you're fast approching the asking price of an '88-up.

I'd be all over it for that price, but i'd take a bit different approach. I'd buy it, ride it if it proved trouble free, then watch for a smokin' deal on a later model and sell the '87 at a profit to fund it.

OR I'd watch for a wrecked or non-running 88-up bike for a similar price, convert the electrical system, ride the thing forever and have enough spare parts to keep it alive for the rest of your natural life.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you are going to pass on an 87 due to possible CDI issues, you might as well pass on 89-00 due to possible CDI issues as well. Yamaha can not get me a CDI. Dealers are referring me to junkyards... the cat is out of the bag, so to speak
    ITCB

This is/was a known failure point of the '87's.

Operose's experience with a failed late model CDI is thus far a relatively isolated incident. At this point I've never had a failure of the later model CDI's, nor are any reported with any regularity in this forum. Conversely, virtually EVERY '87 that I have purchased either had or eventually presented with CDI failure ( so often that I can now do a conversion blindfolded, and he done with it), and hardly a week goes by without someone coming in here looking for advice on how to diagnose an '87. I build that cost into what I'm willing to spend on one.

'87 modules have been unobtanium for eons. When I view Operose's efforts at repairing his I think of the implications it has for resurrecting '87's, specifically. I got a drawer full of them.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

For $350, buy it. If it doesn't run, I'll buy it from you for $250.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pgilles View Post
    For $350, buy it. If it doesn't run, I'll buy it from you for $250.

LOL

Truelight, I live in SE Boise. I mainly wanted a TW200 so I could hunt some remote parts of unit 39 and to save on gas. Do you ever ride up the middle fork of the Boise river? (assuming your from boise, meridian, eagle, nampa)

I believe I will be buying this bike from the guy on Tuesday. I really like the idea of getting deal on a bike.............and for now I can only see the positives. To be honest, I really don't know a whole lot about motors and mechanics but I am a motivated to learn and have never been the guy to take my trucks to the mechanic. I would rather screw up a few times and learn how to do something than to pay a guy to fix my truck for me. So tackling this bike will be a great learning experience and hopefully successful. It looks like there is tons of info on here that I will be able to benefit from. I really liked reading about the accessories and modifications you guys have made to your bikes................I wish tomorrow was Tuesday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links