more TW blatherings from Jon
Close

I mentioned in another thread that we are moving from the mainland to the Big Island of Hawaii--on Sept 5th, and that I am trying to decide which smaller dual sport to buy. Very much in the running are the TW200, XT250, DR200, and CRL230F. Today I went to a nearby dealer that sells Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha. It gave me a chance to look at and sit on a TW, CRL230F, and a DR200 (they were out of the bXT250). The DR and TW both have rear drum brakes, while the Honda has a reaqr disk brake. None of these three felt to small physically to me at 5'9" and 176.

I noticed one thing about the TW200 that I didn't realize. I don't know what Yamaha calls the rear suspension setup on the TW, but I noticed that it is "linkless". was looking to see which bikes have grease fittings for the shock linkages when I saw the setup on the TW. Many would consider a linkless rear shock as a bad thing, as it's a step backwards. I consider this a plus. Linkage type rear suspension has bushings and/or bearings that often don't have grease fittings to lube them. Then they require periodic dissasembly to lube and check for wear etc.

Then I was looking through the writeup on advrider.com where a TW200 owner from my home state took his TW and hooked up a neat one wheel trailer on it and took off for a long cross country tour on it. I'm sure he's a member here too. He considers the TW to be bulletproof. Seems like quite a bike.

Seems like I might have to haul some extra gas though, as the island doesn't have gas stations on every corner.

jon
    Jon

Keaau, Hawaii

In the case of the TW, the linkless suspension is to keep the bike less expensive. In my mind, it's a bonus for the reasons you mentioned.

Bigger thanks are available for the TW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Bigger thanks, from who. I guess qwerty hit an h while firing from the hip!

Thanks be to TDub.

Amen

Sponosred Links