How long after bypass before you rode again?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member biglefti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SCW, AZ
    Posts
    527
    It has only been two and a half weeks since I had my bypass surgery, but I am really chomping at the bit to start doing something. I don't think I should be taking any chances trying to ride my Goldwing, but what about a TW. I'm curious how long you waited to ride after you had bypass surgery if you have had such.

  2. #2
    Senior Member srs713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Smyrna, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,417
    I'd give it some more time before going off road, but if you are cleared to drive a car, you can ride a cycle on pavement.



    Unless you are having dizzy spells,

    or new meds you are still getting used to.



    But that's just the lawyers yappin'.



    I didn't have by-pass, just a couple of stents in a vein on my heart. I was ready to go that next week.
    Stephen S.

    '07 TW200:

    15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

    tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

    Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

  3. #3
    Member dangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
    It has only been two and a half weeks since I had my bypass surgery, but I am really chomping at the bit to start doing something. I don't think I should be taking any chances trying to ride my Goldwing, but what about a TW. I'm curious how long you waited to ride after you had bypass surgery if you have had such.
    I'd take some time to heal a bit. I was stupid when I had a 5 way three years ago. Tried doing too much too soon and broke open my incision. An X-ray showed I also broke two of the stainless steel wires holding my sternum together. I can still feel the sharp ends of the wires when I reach for things. Take the time to heal first and then abusing your body will be much more enjoyable.



    Ask your doctor if medical advise from a motorcycle forum is right for you.



    Dan
    I don't want a pickle, etc.


  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member biglefti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SCW, AZ
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post
    I'd give it some more time before going off road, but if you are cleared to drive a car, you can ride a cycle on pavement.



    Unless you are having dizzy spells,

    or new meds you are still getting used to.



    But that's just the lawyers yappin'.



    I didn't have by-pass, just a couple of stents in a vein on my heart. I was ready to go that next week.


    lol, I thought I was going in for stents. I always waited just 4 days after getting stents before returning to normal daily life. I must say this is far different and is for sure going to need more time to heal. However, 12 weeks seems like forever to me right now since it has only been two and a half weeks since the procedure. Regardless, when I do venture out it will be in a very conservative manner.

  6. #5
    Senior Member srs713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Smyrna, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,417
    Remember, you have some tubing in there that needs to fully heal before putting too much stress on it.



    Cut & sew is very different than holding open with a wire mesh. Road may be alright if it is smooth, but rough sharp jolts are definitely not good.
    Stephen S.

    '07 TW200:

    15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

    tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

    Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

  7. #6
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    If you don't like what your doctors says, get a second opinion from another doctor. Don't risk yourself.




  8. #7
    Senior Member biglefti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SCW, AZ
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post
    Remember, you have some tubing in there that needs to fully heal before putting too much stress on it.



    Cut & sew is very different than holding open with a wire mesh. Road may be alright if it is smooth, but rough sharp jolts are definitely not good.




    Good advice there!

  9. #8
    Senior Member elime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,001
    Is your will all made out and up to date?



    And your life insurance, is it all paid up?



    If the answer is yes to both questions, then go for it!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

  10. #9
    Member Trailerpark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    96
    That you even asked here shows that the drugs are affecting your judgement, read the advice on related topics and if it all sounds good wait until you see more clearly. There isn't even agreement on engine oil why would you ask! Oh and yeah go for what do you have to lose???
    Faster faster!! Well maybe not.

  11. #10
    Member geosport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by dangle View Post
    Ask your doctor if medical advise from a motorcycle forum is right for you.


    too funny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. who rode today?
    By RisingSun in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-06-2017, 10:48 AM
  2. What I test rode this evening…
    By old white truck in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 05:51 PM
  3. Rode a KLR today
    By stephenmarklay in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM
  4. Who else rode today?
    By Matty Moo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 01:21 AM
  5. Rode down to the Escatawpa River
    By kenfyoozed in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM