TW Trends
Close

Thread: TW Trends

I run a small motorcycle school in northeastern IL. I'm a big fan of TWs - both as a great motorcycle to ride and as the perfect training platform for new riders. I started buying TWs is 2006 and maintain 7 to 9 in my fleet. I buy and sell a few every year.

Although the supply of TWs has always been light, it seems that this year there aren't many available. I typically search the usual places - here - EBay - Craigslist - Cycle Trader - local dealers and newspapers - and I just haven't seen many for sale this year. What's up? Any ideas?

My take is that the bike has had a modest increase in popularity recently, due to fuel prices and its having been publicly touted for its fuel mileage and appeal to entry-level buyers in a few magazines. I don't think it could be considered as "selling like hotcakes" but demand appears to be up considerably compared to past years.

Tdubs come 2 to a crate. Typically dealers buy a crate for the new model year and never replenish because replenishment means having 2 examples what have traditionally been slow-selling, low demand bikes on the floor.

Anyway, that's my take. The demand for smaller bikes in general is on the uptick, but maybe not quite to the degree that dealers are willing to commit advance orders on them. This has affected the used market as well. Any TW that rolls is worth considerably more than it was a couple of years ago.

If this is a real trend, in this economy dealers probably will need to watch the market until they've seen enough customers simply leave the building when they can't find what they want and can no longer be sucked into a spendier or sportier model as they have in the past.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hi scalzitti!

Have you thought about VanVans?

I teach and spanner at a bike school too. We used to have Yamaha SR125s, (same engine as TW125). They were ok but the inlet valves would drop at 21,000 miles.

Now we have 8 x Suzuki RV125 (Van Van) Five of which are fuel injected. All of them are very good. Some are past the 22,000 mile mark and the valve clearance is like new!!!
    We're in 'Bat Country' now....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No VanVans over here.

There oughta be.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Typically dealers buy a crate for the new model year and never replenish because replenishment means having 2 examples what have traditionally been slow-selling, low demand bikes on the floor.

I've been puzzled by the lack of TDubs on the showroom floors. My bike always seems to generate a lot of interest. I routinely have people ask what it is and where I got it. Many are surprised to find it's not customized and that they can buy one off-the-shelf. It seems like Yamaha could sell a lot more if they would do a little more marketing and encourage more dealers to keep one on the floor instead if hidden away in the warehouse. I know floor space is valuable, but the TDub occupies a unique market niche that's not well served by any other bike.

It's an oft-discussed mystery. Hardly a day passes without someone seeing ours and commenting how badly they want one for their own. Yamaha also has existing parts and pieces from other models which would further increase sales, seemingly at no additional per-unit cost yet chooses not to.

Is there more profit in TTR's and XT's which share the same basic equipment? I dunno.

Gimme back the kickstarter, losers. Spare us next year's "Bold New Graphic" to help defray the cost.

I could go on all day....

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Everyone is interested in TWs because they are different. Few are willing to be different. Look at all those young people yearning to express themselves. They almost all dress, talk, and act alike.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Everyone is interested in TWs because they are different. Few are willing to be different. Look at all those young people yearning to express themselves. They almost all dress, talk, and act alike.

i love it when people ask me about my fat tire

My submission for the next-gen Qwerty t-shirt series poses the hopeful question:

"Chicks Dig Fat Tires?"

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links