Help me make up my mind
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have been going back and fourth on purchasing a tw. I have a friend who has an 01 which he will sell me at a decent price.

Pros. Fun..cheap..gas saver..dual sport

cons. ugly as sin, top speed will make you a speed bump here in socal.

With that said, The bike would primarily be used for local commuting, and play. I was on the hell no side, until I recently saw a local tw I had first mistaken as a ural. Upon second look, seeing the fat tire, I went back to the by it now side. So now make up my mind please.

Ugly??? You must have looked at one in pink??? If you use it for commuting and play, go for it. Otherwise you will miss out on a lot of fun. Read the posts on this forum and you will know why we all "love" our tdubs.

I've never met anyone who has actually known someone on a motorcycle moving slower than traffic to get run over from behind. Those I know of who have been hit from behind were hit when traffic slowed or stopped and the person behind them didn't. Always watch your 6.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

From what I have read in ADV rider forums, a lot of people like myself that have been apprehensive in getting a t-dub, ended up loving the bike. I am going to pull the trigger. Worst case, if I hate it, I can easily get what I am paying, but I don't think that will be the case. Besides, I do have an alterior motive. I want to try to get my wife into bikes, and I figure this would be the easiest way.

People ride scooters in SoCal, do they not? Look at it this way... For commuting the TW is one heck of a lot better than a scooter, gets comparable gas mileage, can take you on a trail ride offroad (which a scooter can't). If you're still insecure, make yourself a sticker for the back that says -- "Hey...! At least it's not a Scooter!!"

5 years ago my wife and I bought 2 new blue 06's.. The salesmen wondered if I would like after riding a total of 100,000 + miles in 40 years of riding.. Well, I now have 7,000 + miles a I still love riding it.. I have an 09 triumph I ride for the big trill, but on "ALL"short rides it's the T-dub.

As far as ugly goes..... No way.. At almost every stop we get lots of looks.. The other day my best friend,wife and I rode our three dubs to an outing. Boy, we even had harley guys stop by. OMM.

Ugly? I thought the 2001 model was a nice looking bike. Did you friend paint it some gawd-awful color? As for, 'Top speed will make you a speed bump here in So Cal', Unless you're planning on jumping on one of our many freeways I disagree. I commute about 10 miles one way to work and most of it on PCH and my bike works great for me and I certainly haven't been made a speed bump. Whether you buy used or new doesn't matter, just buy one. These bikes are a freaking blast!!!

I won't do the local freeways with the TW, but I have been riding all over south Orange County on secondary roads (include PCH) between San Juan Capistrano, Huntington Beach and Cleveland NF all summer. It's a great commuter if you aren't going too far. Low seat and weight, easy controls, and a bit of a race to 3rd gear at every stop. I'd do it just for the great annoyed looks I get from all the RUB's around here, but it's piratical and a lot of fun too! It is a little embarrassing to have some scooter beat you off the line.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Ugly? From the Rock Store to Cook's Corner to Hell's Kitchen to Neptune's I've never owned a motorcycle that attracted so much attention.

Once at the Rock store we had a $100,000+ Confederate Motorcycle on the cafe side and our two TW's parked way down the line on the "uncool" side of the road, and probably several million dollars worth of machinery in between. Guess where the crowd formed? At the Confederate, and at our Tw's.

There's something to the "speedbump" notion until you master the fine art of "space management" required to do freeway miles in SoCal on a TW, but once mastered it ain't no thing. Pay attention, hang out with the big trucks and enjoy the ride.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Ugly? From the Rock Store to Cook's Corner to Hell's Kitchen to Neptune's I've never owned a motorcycle that attracted so much attention.

Once at the Rock store we had a $100,000+ Confederate Motorcycle on the cafe side and our two TW's parked way down the line on the "uncool" side of the road, and probably several million dollars worth of machinery in between. Guess where the crowd formed? At the Confederate, and at our Tw's.

There's something to the "speedbump" notion until you master the fine art of "space management" required to do freeway miles in SoCal on a TW, but once mastered it ain't no thing. Pay attention, hang out with the big trucks and enjoy the ride.

You happen to live in the victor valley area? Your bike in your sig may be the same one I mistook for a ural. Pretty cool scheme.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links