I knew I needed a Kickstarter
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Well I finally had that moment when I'm glad I did the kickstarter add on to my 2004. We started out down a steep hill and were about 2 miles in when I started thru a very innocent looking muddy water wet spot in the road - you know the kind that fills a small rut about 8 feet long and 3 feet wide. No need to go around, how deep can it be - the road was fairly rocky, should only be 6 inches. Obviously some two wheeled drive truck got stuck previously and spun all the rocks out of the rut, because I dropped in to the top of foot peg and the engine died. Lizrdbrth, if you're reading this, I know, I didn't vent the carb breather tube up yet.... the stuff is on my bench and we were in a hurry to get riding.....

We pulled the bike out and I pushed the electric start. After about 8 cranks, nothing, wouldn't crank anymore. Battery was too low to turn the engine over! The battery must have been low when I started and in the short drive, it hadn't charged enough yet. Thanks goodness for my new kicker! It was about 10 minutes before it would fire again (not sure what goes with that....). Pulled the plug and it was good, not wet. Smelled a bit flooded, perhaps. Anyhow, we were off and running.

I had made some jumper cables after my last stall and could have used them, but I am really glad I had a kicker.

I pulled the vent tube up out of the ring behind the engine and crossed several streams with no difficulties. The water in the stream was about 16in deep in places and the bike never stalled. I'm wondering if forward momentum creates an air pocket behind the engine that stays free of water. Or perhap my big ATV tire washes lots of water down on the tube and sometimes it sucks and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe pulling the vent tube up solved most of the problems? Kinda weird it worked fine in the creek crossing (8 in total - no problems). It's definitely not electrical, otherwise it would happen in the creeks too.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

I like the idea of mini jumper cables. It's great when you're riding with a buddy.

JimboC- - Are your reading this???? This is a perfect example of why you should design a kevlar rear wheel housing shield.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by BillMichaels View Post
    I like the idea of mini jumper cables. It's great when you're riding with a buddy.
    They are easy to make, just some good gauge wire and alligator clips soldered on the ends. I wired a 2-wire plug for heated gear, so one end of my jumper cables is the 2-wire plug and the other is alligator clips. Just make sure the wire gauge can handle the load. I think I used 12 gauge wire.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Can you push start or roll down a hill and start the tdub?

Didn't want to hijack your post so started a new one here https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...asis-on-cheap/ <--- This is good enough reason to have a properly working e-start AND a kick start
    ITCB

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Whiting View Post
    Can you push start or roll down a hill and start the tdub?
    I suppose, with some effort, but not when you are stuck in the mud!
    Regards...Wes

Quote Originally Posted by vuldub View Post
    I suppose, with some effort, but not when you are stuck in the mud!

OK, good to know. Thanks.

TWs are easy to push start--fast walking speed, 3rd gear, and traction. Like the 3 things necessary to have fire, one always seems to be difficult to come by. Like making fire, the worse the weather the greater the difficulty.

One issue with push starting the bike after it stalled in water. This has happened twice to me now, and each time it needs about 10minutes of waiting before it will start. If I spent that first 10minutes trying to push start it, I would be exhausted. I would hate to run it down a nice long hill and not have it start by the bottom.....Having the kicker was really nice. I tried it a few times, waiting, tried, waited and it finally started.
    Regards...Wes

Last year I went on a camp trip with a known bad battery. Push starting, downhill or not, still sucked everytime I shut the TW off (which I do alot). We also took a portable jump starter and I would use that in the morning to minimize my huffing and puffing. Carried the jumpstarter on the ATV just in case too.

I've wanted to add the kick start, and will sometime, though in my case keeping the battery in good condition is a must. However, going through water was never a concern until now. Nice to know, as is the reminder of the vent tubes.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links