Looking at a 1987 TW
Close

I'm a newbie to TW's, I've had various bikes through my life but not a fat wheeled DP. So I'm looking at a 1987 TW200 with 1600 miles, it's all original including the tires. It has been stored indoors and run every year but obviously not much. Mature owner (older guy). The thing is near new condition. Is there anything I should look for with this vintage? Are parts available? thanks in advance

The oldest models are surprisingly like the latest ones with the exception of lacking the disk brake in front, having a kick starter, and having a slightly weaker electrical system. There seem to be plenty of 87's still in play, and to my knowledge parts are available although a replacement cdi is expensive (but then again so are newer bikes). If you have one that has been ridden regularly it is far preferable to one dug out of long term storage or neglect. Cheers, Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

What is he asking for it? $3500? Forget it. $500? Jump on it real fast!

I have an '87 and love it. Maintenance is easy. Having a kick start is a real bonus. And I love the way the headlight gets brighter as I rev it -- only the '87's do that.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

He's firm on $1500

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner View Post
    He's firm on $1500

You didn't say where you are from so. IMO $1500 is to much. For $500 more or less you can get a newer model year and not deal with some of the quirks that the 87 has. Let us know where you are from and maybe we can help find you a newer Tdub.

Tracy
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

I'm in BC, Canada.

C$1500 = US$1476.75 so it's not like that's a bad deal.

$1500 is too much for a 24-year old motorcycle, unless it has a recent full service (everything in the maintenance schedule, not just a "tuneup and oil change), new battery, and new tires and tubes, and is in perfect condition. Not enough difference between then and now to call it a "classic". You'll soon need sprockets and chain, which with the necessary gasket will run between $65 and $135 for the parts, depending on the parts you choose.

There's also a 07 with 1600 miles for $2800. 20 years newer for $1300, is this the way to go? The prices in Canada are always higher than in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsner View Post
    He's firm on $1500

For the mileage and the fact it has been stored indoors I think $1500 is an OK to pretty good deal.

Sure, it is going to need $tuff done to it along the way but they all do.

When (If?) you get it change the oil and filter. Clean (with kerosene) and oil the chain (soak in 90wt gear oil overnight) and do it every 300 to 400 miles and it should last a while. It might need a battery soon but you have a kick starter and can put off buying one for a long time. Because it was stored inside the tires most likely will be fine.

I paid $1100 for mine and it had a salvage title and ran crappy. With info from this forum it now runs well and I have put almost 14,000 miles on it and it is still going strong.

I was just thinking, around here one seldom sees TW's for less than $2000. Good luck.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links